• Register
  • Help

Topic: Remapping JABB instruments?

Share/Bookmark

Remapping JABB instruments?

I want to set up instruments with unconventional key-mappings. Eg, map MIDI input note C to trigger an E; input note F to trigger an Eb; Bb to trigger a D, Eb to trigger a Db etc. So that if I play the bass of a cycle of fifths, it automatically plays a chain of voice-led thirds alternating with sevenths. Various things like that that are a bit more complex than simple transposing.

In all other respects I want the instruments to just react like normal: normal velocity response, MIDI cc control etc.

Can I do this in JABB?

If not, can I do it by loading the JABB instruments into Kompakt or Kontakt?

And how?

Thanks.

Re: Remapping JABB instruments?

Re-mapping is not a feature in the present version of the Kontakt player. It can be accomplished in some sequencers by using things like mfx MIDI plugins. You might even be able to borrow the percussion/drum mapping function in some sequencers to accomplish this sort of thing. Kontakt2 scripting could do this too. Check Bidule to see if it has some possibilities.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Yes, after posting I realised that the easiest way to do it might be via Sonar's Drum Map feature.

I have Kontakt 1.5 but haven't used it much so haven't got round to upgrading to 2.0, though would be happy to do so for a reason such as this. Does this sort of thing require scripting in Kontakt? In Giga it's a simple matter of opening the editor and dragging or copying the relevant sample groups to the necessary keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    Does this sort of thing require scripting in Kontakt?
    Yes. And that carries with it a bit of a learning curve if you can't locate an existing script that does what you want. Be sure to search for existing scripts first - there are a lot of people creating scripts right now. You might even be able to make a request of one of the more prolific script creators. Worth a try if you would rather not get into script writing.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    In Giga it's a simple matter of opening the editor and dragging or copying the relevant sample groups to the necessary keys.
    The same process would apply in Kontakt if you don't want to script it. You then just save these as an alternate patch (which would only load in the full version of Kontakt.)

Well, it wasn't intended for such a feat, but you could use my free TenCrazy.com MFX Note Rotator v1.2 to do it. (that is, if your sequencer can handle MFX)

The difficult part is that you'd need to create an extra instance for each note that generates voice-leading on top, as it was intended to be used for a drastically different purpose (i.e. 1 note -> up to 8 random or cycled notes)

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Thumbs up Re: Remapping JABB instruments?

If you are using notation or sequencing software, it is simple. Just create a MIDI or percussion map for the instrument you want to use (very simple in Finale). Otherwise, you could create your own instrument in Kontakt using the samples from the JABB library. Simply load the instrument in Kontakt and click the "edit" button. You can change every possible parameter about the instrument, including the mapping. I would save it as a different filename first, though, to preserve the original

Go Back to forum