• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Road To You (2006)

Red face The Road To You (2006)

Hi folks,

Firstly hello again, I've been away a long time, been busy with work and bands and concerts and such things. It's great to see new faces and the old ones too Hope everyone's doing well!

I've just finished recording a new (old) piece. I was listening through a few old pieces and I thought 'The Road To You' could use revisiting. I've re-done the piece from scratch, with new instrumentation and new arrangement and orchestration. I've tried to keep the punchy 6/8 feel but I've totally started again from scratch with what I know now about orchestration and instrumentation. The middle section has been completely re-composed to have an interesting descending-thirds set of cyclic key changes.

Here are the links:

John Hawksley - The Road To You (2006) (7 MB)

.. and the whole catalogue is at:

For the majority that never heard the original, the piece is a partly gentle, partly punchy pop composition.

Patches: the bulk of the orchestration is all GPO. Percussion is LOP. Drums are Drum Series 1. Afro percussion is from Afro-Cuban Percussion. Strummed guitars are Nashville High-Strung Guitars, and Pure Guitars Ovation. Bass is Scarbee. Solo flute and bassoon is from Dan Dean Solo Woodwind Lite. All pianos are from Roland A90-EX/VE-RD1.

I hope you get a kick out of it folks

All the best,
    John Hawksley
    Composition & Arrangement

Re: The Road To You (2006)

Aw roight, John 'awksley! Nice one!

This really blew me away. I love your "pedal" effect in the bass and low brasses throughout. You achieved a very realistic sound also and your use of dynamics is excellent.

It's good to have you back. I had been wondering what happened to you.

Thanks for sharing this fine work.

Best regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander

Very beautifully done arrangement. I thoroughly enjoyed this, thanks.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Great work, John. As always, your music is a terrific listen. Really enjoyed how you mixed the instruments as well as the choices in employing them.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

This is such a relaxing and uplifting piece of music. I like the contemporary band and orchestra mix. The melody is great; and I like the dynamic play throughout the piece. This would be a wonderful theme to a Movie of TV program. Nice job...

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Shelton, Washington State

It sounds quite nice. I also think it would go nicely with quality viewing.

Birmingham, England

Wonderful to have you back, John!!! Great new arrangement of a lovely piece. Fantastic arranging as usual. You're the business!!!!

Hey John! Where have you been? Great to see you again!

Awesome work with this! Your orchestration and use of percussion are superb. Bravo! I love it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Nice work John.!

Very uplifting!.. There's some really nice harmonic transitions.
    ...and your renderings are always superb!

An excellent arrangement!

Hello guys,

Thanks very much for all the positive comments, I'm glad people are downloading and enjoying the piece! I do enjoy writing, when I get the chance, and this piece was just crying out for 'the full experience'

Thanks again everyone, glad you're liking it!

All the best,
    John Hawksley
    Composition & Arrangement

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast