• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: External FW HD for samples streaming

Share/Bookmark

Question External FW HD for samples streaming

In my desktop, I'm using a dedicated sata 7200rpm HD to stream samples. This is enough for most of my application, but it's near the limits with big instruments (like full TBO + harmonics emulation).

I'm thinking of putting some of my samples on a top noch external HD, to use them both with my desktop AND my laptop.

Here is the point : does any of you has already tried this combination :

External HD FW800 case + 15000rpm HD (raptor)

This is good on the paper, but I'm curious to have feedback from those who have tried it.
    - Effective performance ?
    - Noise disturbance ?

Thank's for your input.

Re: External FW HD for samples streaming

The Raptor is a 10,000RPM.

I recently switched from using external FW800 RAID 0 going to an internal SATA RAID 0 and it works a lot better.

oops, yes I mean 10,000rpm (optimistic lapse)

Strap a Raptor to the flywheel of a Formula One car, and it can go well past 15,000 RPM.

-JF

Well, too noisy solution for me

I think the fw800 bus runs at less than the speed of a uata bus. I have an external fw drive case which I move between my desktop and laptop but I throw uata drives into it. A cardbus sata adapter might be a better bet. Been seeing combo sata/usb2 enclosures lately. But check this out... although this drive is only 7200 rpm, it seems to have all the possible interfaces covered:

http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVEQ.cfm

Howard

Yeah obviously eSata is the way to go now.
    There is cheap pcmcia-Sata card for laptop.

Well, anybody has successfully tried to put a raptor 10000rpm in a external HD enclosure for sample streaming ?

PCMCIA-SATA on a laptop will not work at the speeds you expect. The bus and XP do not support high speed eSATA. The card you see is there only for the ability to support drives that would otherwise not be useful.
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

yeah, eSATA is definitely the way to go for people need big and fast storage on the go. check out the article and see the performace comparison between those external solution bus real performance speed. For notebooks, you should seek out the PCI-e (ExpressCard) bus solution. Don't know about it's availability or OS support, though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/04/...ernal_storage/

I think the top speed of a pcmcia interface is 132 megabytes per second for 32-bit streaming. Which should make it somewhat faster than fw800 and maybe even a slight bit faster than a uata drive could keep up with. However, the pcmcia-sata cardbus adapter ads might be streching it a bit when they imply getting all of sata's 150 megabyte per second throughput. But it's still pretty decent.

Howard

Go Back to forum