• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Summertime - GPO strings

Share/Bookmark

Summertime - GPO strings

Way back in 1999 I arranged this for strings from the vocal/pno score...

I used it at a July 4th Patriotic/Americana concert, and it was a nice respite from the bombast that is usually heard through most of such concerts... you could have heard a PIN drop when it was done

So, as I try to learn how to make GPO/Finale more expressive, I decided to try to capture the same sounds and expression that I got from the Real Thing...

It's close... REAL close

Summertime

Enjoy...

Re: Summertime - GPO strings

Nice job on this, Jonathan... very solid string arranging.

This must have been sumptuous with a real string section!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by giwro_jon
    Way back in 1999 I arranged this for strings from the vocal/pno score...

I used it at a July 4th Patriotic/Americana concert, and it was a nice respite from the bombast that is usually heard through most of such concerts... you could have heard a PIN drop when it was done

So, as I try to learn how to make GPO/Finale more expressive, I decided to try to capture the same sounds and expression that I got from the Real Thing...

It's close... REAL close

Summertime

Enjoy...
    The "livin' is easy"! Excellent arrangement Jonathan. Did you do this all in Finale? If so how did you get those glisses?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Nice job on this, Jonathan... very solid string arranging.

This must have been sumptuous with a real string section!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Actually...

I should dig up the live recording and post it for comparison...
    Mebbe I'll do it when I've got some free moments (yeah, right... mebbe I'll just do it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    The "livin' is easy"! Excellent arrangement Jonathan. Did you do this all in Finale? If so how did you get those glisses?

Gary

thanks, G...

Yes all in Finale....

Just used the Gliss in the articulations menu ( I can send you the .MUS file if you like)

Glad you liked it... it has become a favorite, and every time I do a Patriotic concert, I get asked if I'm going to do thi piece (!)

Very nice! That some sexy arranging you did! I can definitely see why people like this so much. Boy, do those glisses every bring it to life!

I've never really gotten into the human playback in Finale only because I do all my own controller manipulation in DP, but I've been pretty darn impressed lately with a lot of people's demos with this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc
    Very nice! That some sexy arranging you did! I can definitely see why people like this so much. Boy, do those glisses every bring it to life!

I've never really gotten into the human playback in Finale only because I do all my own controller manipulation in DP, but I've been pretty darn impressed lately with a lot of people's demos with this feature.
    Thanks!

Yeah... "sexy" is definitely a good word for this...

BTW, I've added nothing harmonically or otherwise to the score - it's all Gershwin's notes, simply voiced for good string sound from the piano/voc score...

As for Finale and HP, I'm convinced that one can get a good "first draft" in Finale, then export to MIDI and do further tweaks in your DAW of choice. I've not gone there yet (mainly because of time constraints) but I will do so in the near future, since I have soma JaBB things that really want the extra control given by being able to draw in controllers in a DAW

Thanks for listening and commenting!

Nice Job on this Jon.
    I have played this tune so often in a jazz setting, often with some really mental changes.
    It was refreshing to hear Gershwin's original changes.
    I can see how this would be a real winner in a live setting.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Nice Job on this Jon.
    I have played this tune so often in a jazz setting, often with some really mental changes.
    It was refreshing to hear Gershwin's original changes.
    I can see how this would be a real winner in a live setting.

regards Joe

Thanks for listening and commenting, Joe...

I remember how I felt when I first conducted this - it was such a thrill to have live musicians perform something i had written (and to have it sound good was a huge plus, too!)

Jon:

Great string orchestration, but then what else would it be with Gershwin's melody and harmonies.

Very real presentation and, as said before, the glisses really make this arrangement.

Great work, Jon.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast