• Register
  • Help

Topic: Petronella Swenson Ekblad

Share/Bookmark

Petronella Swenson Ekblad

Petronella Swenson Ekblad was my great-grandmother. It seemed to me that an unusual name (to me) like that deserved to be saved from oblivion, so this somewhat unusal sonata bears the name "Petronella Sonata". The first movement:

Petronella I
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=85110

This might have been called "Petronella Surprise" for reasons which I hope become clear as the work progresses. The mp3 is as usual, GPO Steinway.

The second movement is finished, but in a cooling off period now. The third movement is working it's way through the manuscript paper now.

The link will lead to three choices.

At the top, you will see a blue button to play the mp3.

Just below that, you will see the score, if you have the Scorch plugin. Otherwise, a blank where the score ought to be. Here you can view the score and listen to the Scorch playback (GM), not a good sound, usually.

Below this, under the heading of details, you will see a choice to download the mp3 file, which is the best choice if you want to hear, and don't have broadband. The mp3 is the GPO Steinway.

Richard

Re: Petronella Swenson Ekblad

This is a wonderful piece. Both firm and delicate at the same time. Outstanding composition. Bravo!
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

This is fantastic. Great work
    P4 3.20 GHz, 2GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2, RME Multiface
    Sonar 4 PE, Ableton Live 5, NI Komplete 2/KC 2005, Sound Forge 8, Keysation Pro 88, Trigger Finger

Fine piece, Richard.

I especially enjoy the sense of two different trains of thought progressing through much of the piece.

I cannot say I quite got the "surprise", however. Perhaps you will elucidate?

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Fine piece, Richard.

I especially enjoy the sense of two different trains of thought progressing through much of the piece.

I cannot say I quite got the "surprise", however. Perhaps you will elucidate?

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Well, I thought it might be something of a surprise when, at the midpoint of the piece, the the first part is more or less restated standing on it's head and the treble has become something of a boogie woogie bass, and the new treble very much leans on the boogie tradition. But since it did not surprise you, I guess it was too strongly suggested in the beginning?

I was rather pleased at the how well the two main ideas worked together.

Richard

Oh, that... lol.

Richard, to me, it just seemed like logical and ingenious development work -- just the sort of thing I would expect of you!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum