• Register
  • Help

Topic: A bit of Opera and a Ball

Share/Bookmark

A bit of Opera and a Ball

Just looking for a few opinions on the work in progress that I started this past weekend. It's a song that I've been toying with for a couple of years now and finally got up the nerve to put it on GPO.

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...ay%20Waltz.mp3

This is just a short sample but should be enough to get the idea of where I'm going with it.

Thanks for listening.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: A bit of Opera and a Ball

Mitch, I hear a great deal of promise in this, and I do hope you'll continue work on it!

There's certainly plenty there to explore; and orchestration and execution is quite well done.

The one comment I might make is on tempo. Now -- this is highly subjective -- but I really felt much of this might benefit by moving along somewhat more quickly, perhaps.

Looking forward to more on this!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux

The one comment I might make is on tempo. Now -- this is highly subjective -- but I really felt much of this might benefit by moving along somewhat more quickly, perhaps.

Hey Dave, I'm not that young anymore. Any faster and I'd be tripping over my own trousers.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

I'm curious why you titled the thread "a bit of opera and a ball"? is this intended to be sung? is there a story-line that goes with it? it would have been interesting to be able to put the music in context if that were so....

No rhyme or reason as to how I name my music. In fact, I haven't really decided on what to call this one. This is actually the 2nd movement of a piece originally named Autumn Day (based on the fact that I wrote this song last Fall) http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...ay%20Waltz.mp3
    Many of my songs are simply named after the day on which I started writing them, for instance:

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...203%202005.mp3

or

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/music/March3_2005.mp3

Still others are simply called what they are:

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...%20No.%202.mp3

Of course, there's always the wishfull thinking naming convention:

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...-sax%20GPO.mp3

But who's keeping track anyway?

In the end, I'll probably just go with my standard generic naming convention and call it Symphonic Suite No. 3.

As to why I used "a bit of Opera and a Ball" it was in reference to the type of music I was showcasing and that's what I felt it sounded like.

This was really nice work!!

There's allot of strong compositional elements. I can hear a number of influences.

The overall structure works quite well from style change to the next.

Definitely allot of work involved...Can't wait to hear this completed!

Great job!

~jeff

Thanks!!!!! Hopefully, I can get it completed within the next week but my kids baseball and sofball schedule is beginning to creep into my writing schedule so I had better hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe
    Hey Dave, I'm not that young anymore. Any faster and I'd be tripping over my own trousers.
    ROFL... point taken. I rescind my comment, on like grounds.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Very nice work on this! I love a good waltz. Especially something as sunny and nice as this! You have use orchestral timbres nicely. I love the ritard and pause towards the end. Very grandiose! Please be sure to repost when this is done! I would love to hear the whole thing.

Go Back to forum