• Register
  • Help

Topic: Optimizing System Settings

Share/Bookmark

Optimizing System Settings

Hi!

I have again reviewed a post by \"Marc\" from June 27 at the old forum regarding optimizing the system settings in Win 95/98 for GS.
    He suggested eigth areas for optimizing, and I have questions about some of them.

They were:
    1. Virtual Memory Size - Double RAM-size, both min. and max. [This one seems to be recommended by everyone]

2. Disk Write Caching - Disable write behind caching for all drives. [Recommended also by Aardvark for Aark20/20+]

3. Disk Read Caching - On this one he asks for best value, but suggests: Min File Cache=2048, Max File Cache=2048 [Any suggestions on this one? Also - Where do you perform these changes]

4. Turning off double buffering in MSDOS.SYS - Doublebuffer=1 changed to Doublebuffer=0 [Any suggestions about this? Where do you access these parameters?]

5. Read Ahead Optimization - Move the Read Ahead Opt. slider to the left(OFF), select \"Network Server\" as \"Typical role of this machine\". [On the first point Marc\'s suggestion is the opposite of what Aardvark recommends: Full Read-ahead optimization! Can anyone help out here?]

6. Reduce Graphics Hardware Acceleration - Move Hardware Acceleration slider leftwards (Also for AGP-cards?) [I would like a suggestion for AGP-cards such as ATI XPERT 128 AGP (Rage)]

7. Disabling the Wave Audio Device - Control panel/Multimedia/Advanced?/Media Control - Select the Wave Audio Device (Media Control) and click properties. Select the \"do not use this media control device\" option. [Couldn\'t find these settings in WIN98.]

8. Remove running programs, that are not necessary.[Recommended by most.]

If there are other areas of optimization any new suggestions would be appreciated.
    Hans

Re: Optimizing System Settings

Hi,
    there are some strange things among like hardware acceleration of the graphics card. Do not assume, that this has any effect on clicking or polyphony.

One of the most effective and most metioned is:

8. Set DMA checkbox for you harddisks [Somewhere in System > ...Devices > ... Properties of hardrives. Don´t know the English path as I use a German Win98]

9. and I switched of virtual memory. When you get 256 physical Meg RAM like me, windows\' swapping activities can only make it worse.

Be aware that there is a bug in GS, that might creates problems with physical memory above 256 Megs. See earlier messages that have been commented by Dave of Nemesys.
    Horst.

Re: Optimizing System Settings

Hi,
    there are some strange things among like hardware acceleration of the graphics card. Do not assume, that this has any effect on clicking or polyphony.

One of the most effective and most metioned is:

8. Set DMA checkbox for you harddisks [Somewhere in System > ...Devices > ... Properties of hardrives. Don´t know the English path as I use a German Win98]

9. and I switched of virtual memory. When you get 256 physical Meg RAM like me, windows\' swapping activities can only make it worse.

Be aware that there is a bug in GS, that might create problems with physical memory above 256 Megs. See earlier messages that have been commented by Dave of Nemesys.
    Horst.

Go Back to forum