• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tablet for Notation?

Share/Bookmark

Tablet for Notation?

I just started using a free program called Evernote, which is an amazing note-taking / information management tool. I plan to use it for all sorts of organizing and brainstorming in my life.

It has features for taking handwritten notes, with handwriting recognition, etc. I was thinking about picking up a cheap portable tablet for this kind of thing.

If I do that, I may want to . Does anybody have any experience using a tablet for notation? I already have Finale and Sibelius, but as far as I'm aware they don't have any particular tablet functionality. I'm not looking for something to REPLACE Finale/Sibelius, but something to supplement it.

Ideally, I'd like a small music notepad type of program that I could use to sketch out ideas by hand in a freeform sort of way, just like a regular piece of staff paper. The ability to recognize my note shapes and "clean them up" and/or convert to MIDI would be nice, but not necessary. By the way, I do NOT have a PDA -- I just want to plug a tablet into my laptop.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    chris.

P.S. Any recommendations on a cheap (pref. $50 or under -- I'm not doing graphic design work here), lightweight tablet that I could stow away in my laptop bag?

P.S.

Re: Tablet for Notation?

Wacom have typically been the standard for compatibility. Their Graphire 4x5 would be ample for this. Your local computer store may well stock it.

It's probably more than $50 (though I suspect you could pick up a new one off e-bay for about that), but I wouldn't touch a real cheapy - you're likely to run into compatibility issues, poorly written drivers and other nasties that could even bring your whole system to a halt.

R.

Re: Tablet for Notation?

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I just started using a free program called Evernote, which is an amazing note-taking / information management tool. I plan to use it for all sorts of organizing and brainstorming in my life.

It has features for taking handwritten notes, with handwriting recognition, etc. I was thinking about picking up a cheap portable tablet for this kind of thing.

If I do that, I may want to . Does anybody have any experience using a tablet for notation? I already have Finale and Sibelius, but as far as I'm aware they don't have any particular tablet functionality. I'm not looking for something to REPLACE Finale/Sibelius, but something to supplement it.

Ideally, I'd like a small music notepad type of program that I could use to sketch out ideas by hand in a freeform sort of way, just like a regular piece of staff paper. The ability to recognize my note shapes and "clean them up" and/or convert to MIDI would be nice, but not necessary. By the way, I do NOT have a PDA -- I just want to plug a tablet into my laptop.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    chris.

P.S. Any recommendations on a cheap (pref. $50 or under -- I'm not doing graphic design work here), lightweight tablet that I could stow away in my laptop bag?

P.S.
    Chris,
    I used to use a Wacam Cintiq for inputing notation. It was a great notation experience -being able to input notes with a stylus is much easier than with a mouse. But you had to drag notes from a pallete. Having actual notewriting recognition would sure be neat and at NAMM I spoke with a company that's working on that.

For a cheap about $50 table the Wacom Graphire is a good choice.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum