• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO String Trio - where are my socks?

Share/Bookmark

GPO String Trio - where are my socks?

Hello,

here it is, my piece for GPO, a string trio (violin, viola, cello).

Why a string trio?

First, because I started to write this after watching the film "Amadeus" which made me want to write some music that has "purity". OK, let us write for because this is a minimalistic ensemble and there cannot be hidden anything.

So the second reason is that I wanted to work out some musical muscles.

It turned out that writing for string trio is harder than the result sounds. It does not sound like Mozart at all.

The true sensation for me here is the sound of GPO solo strings. I confess it: When I started to write I replaced the violin with the flute because I did not like the sound at all. But after adding lots of dynamics, articulations and reverb ... it is sensational and truly blows off my socks every time I hear it! This is not the stradivari, just GPO. Listen yourself.

All music is entered by mouse in Overture, no midi tweaking, no further mixing.

Hannes

http://www.frischat.com/compose/Hann...o_C04_2006.MP3

Re: GPO String Trio - where are my socks?

Hannes, this is really cool! Good classical flavor to it, and quite playable. I should do a few of these every so often. It would help stretch out my brain. And the piece sounds really good for a minimum of work in terms of tweaking and mixing.

Wow! My heavens, you've certainly done a sweet job on this one, Hannes!

Excellent job on the nuances of rendering, truly -- and one of the finest trios I've heard in a while.

Great work!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Nice writing on this, Hannes!

Gets me in the spirit to attempt one myself!

~Jeff

Well, that was lovely. Especially around 0:49-1:14, great writing. Nice dynamics around 1:31. I really enjoyed this piece

Good mix too.

Thanks for sharing,

Ryan

Exceptional. Only problem I hear is the perrenial problem of viola samples seemingly sawed, not bowed -- but good viola is hard to come by,

Quote Originally Posted by chmara
    Exceptional. Only problem I hear is the perrenial problem of viola samples seemingly sawed, not bowed -- but good viola is hard to come by,
    chmara,
    this is why we call it diesel violin here sometimes

Ryan,
    thank you for writing down times ... then you must have really heard it

Jeff,
    I found it to be a very good excercise and inspiration, so I am waiting for yours ... and everybody else is invited, too!

David,
    I am ashamed ... because you are the one that writes and renders excellent!

jmc
    come and join in, let us do some GPO chamber music!

Actually this is not so a bad idea. When I was actively playing string trio we found that there are not so much works as for quartet ... so the probability of being played in concert might be higher for well written chamber ensemble music than for full orchestra.

Actually I left 3 faults in the piece and please don't hesitate to comment on them ... hehe

Hannes

This is simply stunning music. The composition is beautiful and the rendering is outstanding. My congratulations on a remarkable piece.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Excellent trio Hannes. I found this to be a very mature and well developed piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    It does not sound like Mozart at all.
    No it doesn't but I am certain that Mozart would have approved. In truth, it has an early/middle Beethoven flavor. Nice work!

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Hi, this is very well written. It has a very nice undisturbed flow which I found soothing like if I was listening to Mozart. Please post more...

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast