• Register
  • Help

Topic: Buggy note behaviour when using same pitch notes

Share/Bookmark

Anomolies during tests (reworded)

I am conducting a series of simple techical tests of the wonderful Strad.

Load New project track in SX3. Load Kontakt and Strad 1.07 (PC)

Input a series of 8 minims of the same pitch using step input (not keyboard). keep velocity as a constant for all notes.

I Added an expression value of 64 - constant for all notes.

Loop and play back track . On first playback first note sounds, then, when looped, no playback at all. C123 no effect.

If you alter the pitch of one note, (I dragged in score), this note, and the one after it sounds, then silience when identical 'cloned' notes arrive.

If you also alter the velocity of say three subsequent notes, then all altered notes also sound, but remaining the same pitch notes remain silent. (Behaviour slightly different on second+ loops.)

I think this is a ' Note Off' issue.

Still a wonderful instrument

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Re: Buggy note behaviour when using same pitch notes

Are the notes over-lapping? If so, you need to have some space between them. If you want connected notes, then use the sustain pedal to change the bow direction.

Jim

No the notes were not overlapping, but yes, using Sustain CC made all notes sound.

I used a block of 'Sustain on' across all notes and this cured the problem.

I did not realise that you cannot play a series of identical pitch sounds without bow changing.

Thanks

PS: If anyone wants to know, in Cubase score using sustain dumps a 'Pedal' symbol in Sx score, you can hide this using the 'H' icon in the 'Functions' icon list above the score.

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

When I set expression to 64 across all notes in this loop, set sustain to ON across all notes (enabling bow change); use Keyswitch 1; and radically alter velocity I do not hear any change in attack. I do hear a micro (hardly discernable) detuning of the note which I understand is related to the bow change.
    I thought that changing velocity selects different attack samples (?), but under these tests I cannot hear a difference. Maybe expression is also involved in the triggering of attack selection? The manual says that attacks 'are mainly linked to note on velocity' (pg 26).
    Altering expression does not seem to return the attack sample selection, it only increases the volume of the sample - or are my ears deceiving me?

Anyone shed any light?

Zero

Hmm... I'm not getting the repeated note issue on my system. You should not have to use sustain to play repeated notes. This may be related to Cubase. There have been a couple other folks with this issue.

You will not hear an abrupt change between samples when playing different velocity layers as in other libraries as the samples are morphing between the samples. Light attacks versus heavy attacks are definitely triggering different samples on my system.

Jim

Thanks for your time. If my memory serves me well I read a post some years ago on Cubase where midi all notes off was sent instead of specific note off (whatever that was called).
    On the second point I understand the samples are morphed and this means a gradual change, but I am hearing no change except for pitch variation according to bow. I am using extreme velocity changes and nothing is perceptable.

Thanks for the support
    Zero

Go Back to forum