• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: LUCIFER AND GANDHI - as Conducted by Dan Kury

Orcas Island

LUCIFER AND GANDHI - as Conducted by Dan Kury

I am please to present a collaboration between two of our forum members - David Sosnowski and Dan Kury.

Several months ago David Sosnowski posted his LUCIFER AND GANDHI and his extraordinary work generated much acclaim on this forum.DPDan was so impressed with the work that he decided to work his mixing magic on David's piece. This was a very difficult piece to render and Dan has done an exemplary job.

Do you know what happens when you put two immensely talented people together? You can hear the results here:

LUCIFER AND GANDHI: For Piano and Symphony Orchestra

The file is also available at http://davidsosnowski.com/ "Conducted by Dan Kury" version and you can download at: http://www.davidsosnowski.com/cgi-bi...dGandhi_KV.mp3 There is also a PDF of the Score at David's site.

Bravo to both David and Dan for this outstanding achievement.

I hope all of you on the forum enjoy this collaborative work!

Gary Garritan

Re: LUCIFER AND GANDHI - as Conducted by Dan Kury

A drop dead amazing composition and production.

You guys are amazing!!!

David's Lucifer and Gandhi is such an outstanding, contemporary piece of music and Dan's audio engineering creativity makes it sound so real. It just amazes me how the mix of David and Dan has melded into an awesome performance for us all.

BRAVO David and Dan. It just can't get any better than this.......

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thumbs up Re: LUCIFER AND GANDHI - as Conducted by Dan Kury

David and Dan....no comments. Who knows you guys is not surprised.

The others...begin knowing you!

Thumbs up Re: LUCIFER AND GANDHI - as Conducted by Dan Kury

This is a great piece of music. I enjoyed it very much.

Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Loved this piece when David first posted it... thought it was pretty realistic even then (and liked the musical material)

This rendition is nothing short of awesome, though!
    Amazing what some tweaks to the balances and mixing can produce...

Traverse Bay

Still think this piece is one of the better showcases of GPO.

Inventive, imaginative, and kind of poetic to my ear.
    Very nice job on the mixing/production/programing as well.

I like the simplicity and sort of proper scale of GPO. It's like a good sketch pad and a pencil is for drawing. It leaves you working on and listening to the composition and overall "idea" of the piece instead of getting lost in tweaking sounds.

Good piece. Good tool. Good mix.

When masters collide ...

The reverb is sublime (especially noticable was the cellos string sound: crisp, warm and clear). Great depth, warmth and clarity. I know it is Altiverb, but I hope Gary will allow you to work with a pre-release of the Real Spaces to create some templates for us work with. I would dearly love the same thing for the free-but-limited impulses sets at noisevault.com

There were many impressive subtlies in the brass performance. How?

There were still a few places where machine-gun related effects were noticable, but surprisingly few.

Masterful orchestration, modern (from the last! century) treatments, provocative story line, and so on and so forth.

Your often quoted words - "Use your own voice" - have been haunting me this last year. I feel several years away from starting to use my own voice, so I should hardly be in the position to make this statement - but - I heard this as one of your most derivative works, despite the brilliance. I cannot back up these words with a detailed critique (I am hardly conversant in 20th century music (I know a handful of pieces)). I heard more of a string of techniques - true, a richly bejeweled one - rather than a unique voice.

Despite this, each of your pieces is an event for me, eagerly anticipated, savored again and again. This piece was no different.

Take Care,

Hi All,

First, my warmest thanks to DAN KURY for taking this on. I literally told him he was out of his mind to tackle it, and I meant it: This piece presents enormous difficulties in interpretation. But Dan went and did it, anyway, and the results -- are typical Kury, excellence in every regard! Thank you again, Dan!

My good friends Gary, Erik, Jack Cannon, Fabio, Jun Yamamoto, Jonathan Orwig, Jibrish, YBaCuO... thank you all for your kind comments! I think you'll all agree that the DPDan magic has truly brought forth much in this piece. And it's not just his technical acumen, it's his musicianship -- there's really nobody like him!

My best,

Hard to believe that the original could be improved upon, but then I hadn't thought about this collaboration. To both of you, many congratulations!!

And David, you are right - it takes a MUSICIAN to make this work sing like this. Dan, you have conducted this brilliantly; David, this is a pleasure to hear again. My hat is off to both of you.

Go Back to forum