• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: IK Miroslav?

Share/Bookmark

IK Miroslav?

Hi Folks,

I'm relatively new to orchestral composition in a DAW. I use Logic and now Ableton as well.

I'm looking for a GREAT library.. mainly for strings.. something that has some emotion and is easily editable.

I'm enjoying the demo of Synful on my mac... I dont have a controller with a mod wheel, though, so I'm losing a lot of articulation that they expect you to perform live with that insturment.

For a while I have been close to ordering the IK reissue of Miroslav..... but I'm not crazy about the demos. I get the feeling that the lack of quality I hear in the miroslav demos are more from lazy programming. Most of what I will use it for are string swells, and the majority of the music I am writing has it's backbone with the piano.

The Vienna demos with their new insturment sound and look amazing, by the way.. just not looking to spend thousands right now.

Anyone have any good examples.. or can shed some light on miroslav vitous IK?

Unfortuntely, you can't download a sample library for demo purposes. too big!

Steve

Re: IK Miroslav?

Why don't you give Garritan Personal Orchestra a try? If you write hairpins or cresc. and decresc. in your score you need no mod wheel - at least that is what I do. Or you can also draw the dynamic lines in a sequencer.

A fantastic demo of strings with piano (all GPO) was just posted by Roberto Ferrari:

http://www.robertferrari.com/The_Earth_Heaven.mp3

Cheers
    Hannes

Hi Hannes,

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but I'm just not feeling GPO. I have used it, and I find that I like the songs more that I have heard recorded with EWQL Gold... which is also a consideration. It's in a similar price range as Garritan, and it sound a bit better to me. I guess I'm trying to compare Miroslav to the likes of Gold and even Vienna.. want to see how it stacks up to those.

Most of what I do is Legato... been thinking about that QLegato in Gold XP, although that's expensive.

Another option you might want to look at is SI MINI strings. There's a demo on their site called "Endless Days", which shows them playing softly.

I have had the Miroslav for about five months now. I think it is excellent. My own opinion of course. I have all the Sonic Implants, and most of Vienna, and I still keep going back to the Miroslav..

Quote Originally Posted by astronmr20
    Hi Hannes,

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but I'm just not feeling GPO. I have used it, and I find that I like the songs more that I have heard recorded with EWQL Gold... which is also a consideration.
    No reason to flame here

I know the situation since I also have been going forth and back like a pendulum between miroslav, siedlarczek and EWQL ... before deciding for GPO.

I have to say that the GPO strings just do not sound well if played "out of the box" and I a little bit disappointed when I played around it first on my keyboard. But I learned to use them better and not I think they are short of fantastic.

At the end ... every decision has its pro and contra. All I am saying is that it is very easy to underestimate GPO.

Listen to this - would you have guessed it was done with GPO?

http://www.frischat.com/compose/Hann...o_C04_2006.MP3

Best
    Hannes

I believe your answers will be solved if you give Kirk Hunter Emerald a go - that collection is simply superb - in all areas - and it now includes their chamber strings product too. You get complete string sections, solo instruments and chamber strings now - pretty much the entire string section of most orchestras. Their brass is outstanding - really bright and a nice growl to them all - great for cinematic scores. The woodwinds are excellent and the percussion is top notch - everything you need and a serious 30+GB size - all at a extremely reasonable price!

I do not work for them nor do I see any monetary or other benefit - I am a client who is very satisfied with the product and customer service. Kirk is always on this forum, answers people's questions and constantly updates his fantastic kontakt 2 scripts! Speaking of scripts, you get tons of them with this sample set - with keyswitching, vibrato and legato control - man, you just cannot go wrong.

I can't say enough good things about KHSO Emerald.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by karmacomposer
    I believe your answers will be solved if you give Kirk Hunter Emerald a go - that collection is simply superb - in all areas - and it now includes their chamber strings product too. You get complete string sections, solo instruments and chamber strings now - pretty much the entire string section of most orchestras. Their brass is outstanding - really bright and a nice growl to them all - great for cinematic scores. The woodwinds are excellent and the percussion is top notch - everything you need and a serious 30+GB size - all at a extremely reasonable price!

I do not work for them nor do I see any monetary or other benefit - I am a client who is very satisfied with the product and customer service. Kirk is always on this forum, answers people's questions and constantly updates his fantastic kontakt 2 scripts! Speaking of scripts, you get tons of them with this sample set - with keyswitching, vibrato and legato control - man, you just cannot go wrong.

I can't say enough good things about KHSO Emerald.

Mike
    There's been a lot of good feedback about the KH library, and plenty to do with the quality of the strings, so i agree with Mike here. I have a very old Miroslav strings library that has done some good work over the years, and with tweaks here and there continues to do so. I am however seriously considering the KH within the price bracket indicated for the reasons Mike indicated, including tone.

Then you could consider the entry level library from VSL, Opus 1 and 2.
    And for sheer class if expense isn't an issue, VSL has the goods for not only tone, but the useability of the new VI in their Symphonic Cube library, according to reports from users.
    Add to that the impressive expression of the Sonic Implants Strings, and there's plenty to choose from.
    Dan Dean put out some decent stuff too, with brass and W/W.
    And of course if you need a choir, Spectrasonics have the formidable SOV with Adult male and female voices, and the team from Belad Media produced a wonderful childrens choir (boys choir and girls choir) called Giovani.
    (Don't write off GPO so easily either, there's some serious users getting a lot out of this library.)

So there's lot's of choices. and with some decent research, and an understanding of what sort of music you actually want to write (in the main), you can put together a decent package that will fit your needs and wants.

Good Luck,

Alex.

Thanks. .And I am very glad to see someone hat is enjoying Miroslav, too.

The reason I am avoiding SI mainly is that I dont want to have to buy a player.

The new Vienna insturments look and sound amazing.. If I had the money I would go there.

Hannes thanks for the examples.

I will check out The KH Emrald.

I have EW Gold and KH Emerald. I always seem to go to Emerald for all of my strings now, mainly because of the ease of use and exceptional playability.
    The Emerald strings also sound very good to me and I have not problems mixing them in with other sounds in a project.

Go Back to forum