• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Mobile Recording [DPDan around?]

Share/Bookmark

OT: Mobile Recording [DPDan around?]

I'm preparing a CD that will use JABB and live trombone.

Sadly, whilst I can record the live trombone at certain times of the day in my studio I am limited by neighbour-friendly hours and volumes.

My studio DAW is a desktop and not mobile, but I do have a (not very powerful - Celeron 930Mhz, 120Mb RAM) laptop with a crappy on-board soundcard.

What I want to do is do all my JABB work on my DAW and then mix it down to a stereo wav., then transfer it to the laptop purely as a guide to record the trombone before moving the trombone recording back to the DAW for processing and final mixing.

I have found a USB microphone [http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...m?prodID=1810] that would appear to be able to bypass the laptop soundcard and input straight into Sonar on my laptop.

My questions are - if I am simply recording one instrument without effects, should my laptop be able to cope, and would this USB microphone be suitable for recording a trombone?

Obviously all responses are very welcome - but if Dan is around, I woudl really appreciate his input!

Thanks.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: OT: Mobile Recording [DPDan around?]

Yes, I believe that the laptop should beable to work, just keep the laptop cool (about 60 degrees F is a good temperature as they tend to get hot). By doing that, you should be able to pump a little more juice out of it. Of course, I don't do any music in a mobile environment (even though my new rack is mobile). The computer I have now is a 40 lbs. monster (I ordered cheap, not light...) but the size of it keeps it relatively cool (well, a few more fans would help since it has room for 5 more fans...). But I think I saw that mic for sale at a cheap price at sweetwater in their magazine (they are pretty good a shipping...at least here where it is 2 days). However, for the best deals, check out froogle (http://www.froogle.com).

Hi Richard,

I wish I could help you with a recommendation for that USB mic. If my memory serves me correctly, it is made by Samson. I have no experience with it, so I don't know what to say. If I were you, I would take your laptop into the closest Guitar Center with your headphones and try one out. Call first to see if they have one that you can try. Your laptop should certainly be able to handle recording more than just one audio track simultaneously, and I realize it is not your "main" bad boy computer, but as C J Pro said, it should, be fine.

Thank you for the trust you have shown in me for advice, I am honored to help. There's lots of good help here!
    Let me know how the Samson mic works out, I'm curious.
    Dan

Thanks CJ and Dan,

I was worried that I was going to get laughed at with my laptop specs - it was bought purely for mobile word processing, spreadsheets, etc., - but it sounds as if this could be possible.

Having got that out of the way, the two things that I need to clarify (and I probably do need to get to the music shop for this) is whether the USB mic connection does make the soundcard redundant (for recording), and whether this type of mic ["a 19mm internal shock mounted diaphragm with a cardioid pick up pattern"] is going to be any good for recording trombone.

My knowledge/experience of recording hardware is less than negligible
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Go Back to forum