• Register
  • Help

Topic: Will there ever be ...a GPO Convention

Share/Bookmark

Will there ever be ...a GPO Convention

A GPO convention? We could probably get the Beeffalo convention center for next to nothing. I wouldn't doubt if they would actually pays us to have a convention there.
    Whateva. Dude, like it's time man to capture all of us together in one spot, dude. Like farm out powder on the people man! Dude, like right elbow kewel dude. Way out there hip man! Convention for GPO rules man like rocks dude. Tst-tst-tst-tstswveewwwwhhhhh, uhhhhhhhggggphst. Man, like woe man like heheheheheheh, yeah like I'll fly anywhere dude as long as there's plenty of munchies................ Like man, dude bring your axe dude and I'll bring my tubs dude, man.
    Styxx

Re: Will there ever be ...a GPO Convention

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    A GPO convention? We could probably get the Beeffalo convention center for next to nothing. I wouldn't doubt if they would actually pays us to have a convention there.
    Whateva. Dude, like it's time man to capture all of us together in one spot, dude. Like farm out powder on the people man! Dude, like right elbow kewel dude. Way out there hip man! Convention for GPO rules man like rocks dude. Tst-tst-tst-tstswveewwwwhhhhh, uhhhhhhhggggphst. Man, like woe man like heheheheheheh, yeah like I'll fly anywhere dude as long as there's plenty of munchies................ Like man, dude bring your axe dude and I'll bring my tubs dude, man.
    The Beeffalo convention center??? How can we pass that up?

It would be fantastic to meet together at a GPO convention and it's something we thought about. Last year, our "mini-convention" at Indianapolis NAMM was lots of fun. There's nothing like getting Styxx and DPDan in the same room together.

We explored the idea of a large convention/workshop in New York together with a Competition concert. That may still be a possibility.

It is a matter of logistics. With GPOers located all over the world it's not easy to find the right place nor the right time. Instead we have had smaller get togethers - in New York, LA, Boston and Seattle. It's usually practical to tie it in with a show - like NAMM or AES. We're planning get togethers in the UK and some other locations.

For the meantime it looks like smaller gatherings in various cities. Perhaps we can do a tour and provide workshops and training sessions. Would that be of interest?

Gary Garritan

It is a matter of logistics. With GPOers located all over the world it's not easy to find the right place nor the right time. Instead we have had smaller get togethers - in New York, LA, Boston and Seattle. It's usually practical to tie it in with a show - like NAMM or AES. We're planning get togethers in the UK and some other locations.
    I called the Beeffalo Chamber of Commerce and inquired as to what would be involved. "GPO? Here! What are you crazy! There's not enough room!" Oh well, it was an idea.
    When is the next NUMB shew.
    "And now ... right here on our shew ... The GPO Players!" Screams, crying and parents sighing.
    Wait! That's it! Let's have it at the Ed Sullivan Theatre!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    For the meantime it looks like smaller gatherings in various cities. Perhaps we can do a tour and provide workshops and training sessions. Would that be of interest?
    Gary Garritan
    I think it would, and it would take a lot to keep me from attending!!!

One thing though...

there are other software companies in this marketspace that do (mostly) regular tours to demonstrate their newest versions. I've attended one each for a couple of companies that will remain nameless, and I am unlikely to return. Their tour was nearly 100% marketing, very little real information was provided. I think that this was at least partly due to the fact that they partnered with a large music store company (also nameless), and that part of the partnership really is focued on sales.

There is one company, which I guess I should not name either, that does a tour somewhat irregularly, and their tours are hit or miss, but they hit enough to cause me to seriously consider attending when they are nearby.

Of all the product demos I've attended, the one that sticks out in my mind is the Ensoniq EPS tour (I can name them cause they aren't around anymore!) They had Craig Anderton do the presentation, usually in a smaller local music store (then again I guess there were no national chains back then<G>), and it was two hours of "how-to" information that left one reeling. Some of it was really silly little things, but it was those silly little things that separated Craig's use of the keyboard from the rest of us.

One of the things that Craig did that was useful was to provide attendees with floppy disks of sequences that demonstrated the techniques he showed us. And here's the really stealthy marketing trick... the sequences were based on both the sample libraries that came with the keyboard (so everyone could try them) and some of the libraries that were sold as add-ons. I bet they sold more than a couple of the add-on libraries!!!

So, if you do this, please make it 90% tutorial and 10% marketing (hey, you have to do marketing!), and try to stay independent of the big music store chains to minimize the pressure on you.

At AES this past fall I did get a chance to watch Tom "play" the instruments, and even that short demo gave me ideas of ways to improve my use of the tool.

If you could extend that to a one to two hour demo, and provide examples (on CD no floppy<G>!), I really think you'd have a winner.

Go Back to forum