• Register
  • Help

Topic: Importance of ASIO2 ??

Share/Bookmark

Importance of ASIO2 ??

Hi all,

I have some money buring a hole in my pocket and I want to get a new soundcard.

I'm havign trouble deciding between two M-Audio cards - the Audiophile 192 and 2496.

The 192 appears to be the newer one of the two, but it woudl appear that the 2496 has ASIO2 drivers, but the 192 has just ASIO.

Should I attach any significance to which ASIO driver the card runs?
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Importance of ASIO2 ??

Richard, I would tend to go for the Audiophile 192. M-Audio periodically updates drivers. This was one I thought to purchase but decided on the PreSonus FirePod Audio / Midi interface. The FirePod has served me well and their tech support goes beyond expectations.
    I would definitely stay away from Creative Audigy Soundblaster unless you get up into Emu PCI cards and interfaces.
    Just me 4 1/2 cents. (Went up with the gas prices )
    Styxx

Re: Importance of ASIO2 ??

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Richard, I would tend to go for the Audiophile 192. M-Audio periodically updates drivers. This was one I thought to purchase but decided on the PreSonus FirePod Audio / Midi interface. The FirePod has served me well and their tech support goes beyond expectations.
    I would definitely stay away from Creative Audigy Soundblaster unless you get up into Emu PCI cards and interfaces.
    Just me 4 1/2 cents. (Went up with the gas prices )
    I agree with styxx. I have the Audiophile 24/96 and have had no problems as they keep right on top with drivers even for the older cards. If you plan to get the 192 im most sure where you read about just asio is probably incorrect as they most likely have an updated driver(just doesn't seem like them to "not" have asio2 for this). I bet in the downlaod driver section you will find your answer.

The only thing I found about the 24/96 is I have no clue what a coaxial cable is. I know you get the surround from that, but what the heck do you plug it into lol? Never seen a stereo or one of those game systems*cheopo surround speaker set* with a coaxial in. LOL that part confuses me.
    Robert Davis

Go Back to forum