• Register
  • Help

Topic: Accessing articulations with Quantum Leap Brass

Accessing articulations with Quantum Leap Brass

I'm sure I'm one of the few using a hardware sampler around here... Akai Z4 to be exact. Hopefully, someone can share some general info if not specific Akai/QLB instruction. I need some help sequencing with the QLB library. This is my first experience with a sampler, so pardon the ignorance.

What would be the best way to access several articulations of a particular instrument on just one MIDI channel?

I've gotten as far as assigning the relevant programs to the one MIDI channel, but of course, when I trigger the samples, all articulations play in unison. What would be the easiest, most efficient way to trigger the articulations separately?

Re: Accessing articulations with Quantum Leap Brass

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any key-switching on that instrument, so that most likely wouldn't be an option.
    I don't see how to do it with keys. However, I also have the QL Rare Instruments library. According to the manual, there's keyswitching already programmed. Unfortunately, the RI library is S1000 formatted. My Mac won't recognize the contents of the CD, and I don't have SCSI drive at the moment. So I haven't been able to examine how they did it. Maybe I'll attack this first.

If you need just one additional articulation, you could map the second bank to unused keys that are lower on the keyboard (an 88 key keyboard helps here). You could also probably do it with velocity switching, or foot pedal switching or modulation wheel switching.
    I did consider transposing a 2nd articulation, and I do have an 88 key board. But I was hoping to get access to more than 2 at a time. I'm looking to set up something with at least the articulations I'll use most. That would be 4-5 articulations per instrument though. But that way I could set an instrument up once and use it when needed. I'm trying to avoid having to manipulate programs every time I need different articulations.

Having a large number of banks available on one keyboard would be a challenge, though. That's why GigaStudio, Kontakt and EXS-24 were invented.
    I'm finding that out. If software was an option for me, I would've gone that route. But I'm taxing my G4 almost to its limits as it is.

Did the instrument come with any factory banks using multiple articulation?
    Unfortunately not. Only individual programs for each articulation were provided.

Using multiple MIDI channels would be easiest.
    Yeah, except that I need to rely on the Z4 for as many instruments as 512MB of RAM will allow. Just loading up the instruments, I can run 5-6 instruments worth of samples. Multiply that by 3-5 channels per instrument...

If you have a sequencer that has folders, you could pack all the tracks from one instrument into a single folder. That's what I usually ended up doing back when I was primarily using Emu E4XT's.
    I'm using Pro Tools LE. I'll have to look into that.

Pardon, but I'm not familiar with folders in sequencers. What would that do for me? Would that reduce the number of channels used?

Go Back to forum