• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sampler in Reason--limited?

Share/Bookmark

Sampler in Reason--limited?

Just out of curiosity--Is the sampler in Reason severely limited? None of the developers here seem to build sample sets for it. Does it have limitations on the size of the multisamples.

(I like the idea behind Reason--everything is in one program, so there's no need to open vsti's and vst's, etc, but it's expensive at around $400-500 if it doesn't let you have good sounding multisamples.)

Smile Re: Sampler in Reason--limited?

Reason is one of my favorite little appz. We actually make a series of titles for M-Audio "Prosession Producer Series" which all have NN-XT multi-sample sets. NN-XT will also use most soundfonts as well.

The NN-XT sampler isnt the most advanced sampler out there, but if you dont mind not having release samples or keyswitching it can be a lot of fun to work with.

Reason as a whole is an excellent tool.

Best regards,

AJ
    Al J.
    Sonic Implants
    http://www.sonicimplants.com

Re: Sampler in Reason--limited?

Reason's NN-XT is passable. It's main drawbacks are no keyswitching, no release samples and very poor legato functionality. I used to think the NN-XT sampler was cool (it was the first sampler I used that allowed multiple velocity layers), but that was before I got Gigastudio. On the plus side though, Reason and it's NN-XT sampler are MUCH more stable than Gigastudio and Cubase. And it's not much of a resource hog either.

I like Reason too, but moved on to Gigastudio and Kontakt because of lack of good samples for it. I once emailed Michael Post suggesting he look into offering a piano library for it, and he emailed back he was experimenting in converting one of his libraries for it. But I never did see a product appear. I do think Reason is an large uptapped market that could use some quality libraries. But since it doesn't stream from disk, piano wise it would be be most useful to have a light version, or one of the older smaller libraries, 16 bit and 4 to 8 layers, as opposed to the massives, newer libraries, which may not fit in memory. But I havn't used Reason for over a year, or upgraded to the newest version, so I don't know what's currently available. I'm thinking of getting a converter program and converting some of my libraries to it. I really like using Reason's various modules to modify sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    Just out of curiosity--Is the sampler in Reason severely limited? None of the developers here seem to build sample sets for it. Does it have limitations on the size of the multisamples.

(I like the idea behind Reason--everything is in one program, so there's no need to open vsti's and vst's, etc, but it's expensive at around $400-500 if it doesn't let you have good sounding multisamples.)
    Actually, I've made several instruments for NN-XT that are included in refills from Propellerheads.
    NN-XT doesn't support streaming, so that's why none of the SampleTekk biggies are translated.
    Actually, you can use releasesamples in NN-XT, but with a slightly different twist. Remember the old AKAI-trick..... and also the SF2-trick......

NN-XT works and sounds great when you got the instrument there. It's rock solid and it's also very easy to work with.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

I don't own Reason yet but it's really cool to look at.

Go Back to forum