• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Water Fountain by David Foster midi by DPDAN

Share/Bookmark

Water Fountain by David Foster midi by DPDAN

Hi folks,
    I am so happy to finally get to post something for fun.
    I have always loved this piece and, well, coming from me you guessed it.... I copied it by ear from David Foster's Symphony Sessions CD.

Water Fountain

The Piano is TBO (The Big One)
    All section strings GOS
    One instance of Garritan Stradivarius Solo Violin
    The rest of the instruments are the glorious GPO
    1 Flute, 1 Piccolo, 1 Oboe, 2 Clarinets, 2 Bassoons, 4 French horns, 2 Tenor Trombones, 1 Tuba, Timpani, Harp, MarkTree, Xylophone, Celeste.

This piece was produced using Digital Performer 5
    Enjoy!
    Dan

Re: Water Fountain by David Foster midi by DPDAN

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi folks,
    I am so happy to finally get to post something for fun.
    I have always loved this piece and, well, coming from me you guessed it.... I copied it by ear from David Foster's Symphony Sessions CD.

Water Fountain

The Piano is TBO (The Big One)
    All section strings GOS
    One instance of Garritan Stradivarius Solo Violin
    The rest of the instruments are the glorious GPO
    1 Flute, 1 Piccolo, 1 Oboe, 2 Clarinets, 2 Bassoons, 4 French horns, 2 Tenor Trombones, 1 Tuba, Timpani, Harp, MarkTree, Xylophone, Celeste.

This piece was produced using Digital Performer 5
    Enjoy!
    Dan
    I'm biased - since you use the TBO.... but it sounds great!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

When I was younger I was a real DF freak and this was one of the songs I learned to play by ear off that CD. Wow, does this bring back some nice memories of playing piano (which I do less of now, having turned more to guitar).

Thanks very much for sharing this - its sounds brilliant. One small point - is there perhaps too much reverb on the TBO? It just sounds a little "strong" to me. Or maybe a different "flavour" of reverb (more transparent?) might make it sound even better? Just my humble opinion.

Any chance you might consider sharing the MIDI file with us?

Cheers

Len

Very well done

I think it could be even better with some additional sound libraries (other than TBO which is probably about as good as it gets)

Nice job

thank you everyone for listening. David Foster is my musical hero.
    Dan

Good work! That's not my kind of music but i respect David foster a lot...cause he's Canadian!

Thumbs up Re: Water Fountain by David Foster midi by DPDAN

Wow...thats beautiful. David Foster is one of the Composers/Producers which work I really love, especially this one.

You captured the emotion and feeling really well ( couldn't make it better )
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

DPDAN:

Sounds Brilliant. Very well done. I really like the sound of TBO in this mix. TBO and the White Grand are 2 of my favorite pianos, because they just really seem to sit well in a mix.

What format TBO did you use here? gigasutido, Kontakt etc. What do you thing is the best way to process TBO from an instrument stand point (Not the mix). Is it best to leave the sound as it(dry and unprocessed until the final mix) is or is it better to EQ, apply some plugins, compressors, limiters, etc on the instrument track (I sometimes apply some limiting even on my individual tracks). Any thoughts? Thanks

Dd

Hi ddarwin7,

Thank you very much for your nice compliments, I'm honored that you enjoyed listening to it.

I personally never compress a piano, yikes, an acoustic piano needs to breath on it's own. Too many people feel like they have to use plugins galore with recorded music. I love plugins as much as the next guy but, I usually only use compression on some vocals, bass, and drums and other instruments as well, but it always depends on the type of music "pop or not".

I used TBO in GS3. The only thing this entire project received as far as plugins go, is one Altiverb reverb for everything, and some EQ on some of the strings. That's it.

Lots of fader automation though. I always record everything to audio tracks, and then automate each track starting with 1st violins from beginning to end. Then I listen to the 1st vlns and automate fader levels for 2nd violin, and so on. Once I get all the strings mixed, I assign them to a stereo AUX fader as a strings master. I do the same mixing process for woods, then brass then percussion. Once all the individual audio tracks are automated, I then go back and automate the fader levels of all four group masters to accomodate blend. Sorry I started rambling there.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it, and hopefully some of how I do things can be incorporated, or at least tried in your next project. What works good for one guy doesn't always hold true for everyone.

Have a great weekend!

dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi ddarwin7,

Thank you very much for your nice compliments, I'm honored that you enjoyed listening to it.

I personally never compress a piano, yikes, an acoustic piano needs to breath on it's own. Too many people feel like they have to use plugins galore with recorded music. I love plugins as much as the next guy but, I usually only use compression on some vocals, bass, and drums and other instruments as well, but it always depends on the type of music "pop or not".

I used TBO in GS3. The only thing this entire project received as far as plugins go, is one Altiverb reverb for everything, and some EQ on some of the strings. That's it.

Lots of fader automation though. I always record everything to audio tracks, and then automate each track starting with 1st violins from beginning to end. Then I listen to the 1st vlns and automate fader levels for 2nd violin, and so on. Once I get all the strings mixed, I assign them to a stereo AUX fader as a strings master. I do the same mixing process for woods, then brass then percussion. Once all the individual audio tracks are automated, I then go back and automate the fader levels of all four group masters to accomodate blend. Sorry I started rambling there.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it, and hopefully some of how I do things can be incorporated, or at least tried in your next project. What works good for one guy doesn't always hold true for everyone.

Have a great weekend!

dpDan
    Thanks DPDAN;

That's some really good advice. I've heard lot of your other music postings and they all sound pretty good. Too bad I do not have altiverb. I do have Gigapulse that came with GS3 orchestra and Gigapulse VST. While the quality of reverb is good, the selection really sucks. Looks like the key is the fader automation. You seem to have a good working setup. I am going to stop tweeking the knobs and start making some music.

For orchestral mixes with piano, do you think its best to leave the piano soundboard sound out of it or include a bit of it into the piano sound. I know for solo piano pieces it seems to sound better with the piano soundboard convolution. But with mixes? What do you think.

Thanks

Go Back to forum