• Register
  • Help

Topic: Shadow Dance (bcl, fl, vl, vla, vlc, pno)

Shadow Dance (bcl, fl, vl, vla, vlc, pno)

This is a work where the bass clarinet is having the main role.
    The clarinet is JABB and the rest is GPO + Finale GPO.

It's rendered directly from Finale 2006 with HP. I still have some issues to solve. The most important is about the string tremolo. When you use HP it's not possible (at least not straight away) to use the keyswitched tremolo in GPO, instead HP is trying to use it's own version of triggering the notes in order to simulate a tremolo. I was trying to workaround this by using the sampled tremolo in Finale GPO, but then I wasn't able to stop HP from doing it's thing. So there is a sort of "tremoloed tremolo".
    Another thing is the fact that there is no fluttertounge bass clarinet, so when you here a stuttering sound it supposed to be fluttertoungue.

I have used a technique I call "prismatic canon" in this piece. That means that the clarinet line is reflected in two different shadows, where the piano is playing one and the group of fl, vl, vla and vlc plays the other.

It's about 6'30'' and I suppose you could call it atonal :-) (ca 9 Mb)
    or (ca 6 Mb)

Re: Shadow Dance (bcl, fl, vl, vla, vlc, pno)

Nice work, even with the problems you're facing.

I've always loved the bass clarinet (I also feature it quite prominently in a number of my works.) Are by chance a clarinetist? I always thought flutter-tongue on a bass clarinet was extremely difficult.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Very well done, despite dancing with Finale as well as the shadow.

Fascintating piece -- I listened through it a couple of times before fully understanding what you were doing.

I would be interested in seeing the score for this, Tangram!

My best,

Very interesting music for experts. Also it sounds very natural.

PS.: I would also be interested in the score.

I found this terrific.

This may be the first atonal piece that I can say I've actually liked!! I especially liked the rhythm and rhythmic pulse that extended throughout the piece. The flutter tongues I would normally consider just a gimmick, but I found they fit in naturally here and added to the rhythmic sensations.

On a cautionary side, I also found the piece to have a perpetual-motion feel. There was an absence of any contrasting sections. This lack of a story line leaves out an important part of potential mental stimulation.

I really like this,

Very well thought out, and brilliant use of the bass clarinet, one of my favorite instruments.

Thanks for posting,

Thank you all for taking the time to listen! And thanks for your comments!

David & Hannes: I will mail a pdf shortly.
    I don't want to post the score yet because I'm in the middle of editing it, dynamics placing etc... So place take it as is for the time being.

YBaCuO: About your comment "on the cautionary side" - I get your point. "But" in this piece I've been exploring this idea of the main voices relation to its shadows. You enter a state of mind and spend some time there, more or less. And I believe there is a lot of contrast "going on" in the micro level. But of course, it's a most valid comment and I thank you for it.

Go Back to forum