• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My music vs. the wife's :)

Share/Bookmark

Wink My music vs. the wife's :)

My wife and I each recently composed a short piece for piano.

Ladies first - she’s done this awesome Moto Perpetuo. Being a brilliant pianist, she does a mean live performance of it - but this is my rendering using GPO piano and a lot of quantising
    Moto Perpetuo

And here’s my offering:
    Hypertension
    It’s a short piano piece describing the ups and downs of married life
    (I’m kidding of course).

Two pieces in contrasting styles. My piece is unusually on the atonal side for me. I'm usually a highly tonal type of guy

I thought of setting up a poll for these two pieces, but soon scratched that idea, since I’d like to stay married for a little while longer

Regards
    Jon

Re: My music vs. the wife's :)

Jon,

Please tell Caroline I had only one comment about her piece:

BRAVO!

Unfortunately, your piece, well... the best I can say about
    that one is...

BRAVO!

These are both wonderfully well done piano pieces, Jon!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

One wonders who pays for the manuscript paper...

Jon, your music versus your wife's....?? They are so different that a good comparison is hardly possible.
    Both are very well done.
    BRAVO for the both of you!!

Regards,

Gerard

I will risk a comparison (which are my OPINIONS and nothing more):

I found your wife's piece to be non-descript. It was basically a piano etude on classically standard harmonic progressions. It lacked inventiveness. There were no surprises. It was, obviously, quite pianistic and well crafted from that standpoint. Musically it fell short.

Your piece was not in any way atonal, as a matter of fact, it was no less tonal than your wife's. I don't understand why you would add that caveat. It was more adventurous harmonically, and yes, more dissonant, but it was by no plausible definition "atonal". I found your piece considerably more interesting, both rythmically and melodically. The "spicy" harmonies were well conceived and felt un-forced. You should probably explore that side of your musical personality more, it obviously suits a repressed side of you!

Have you thought about orchestrating "Hypertension" into something for a chamber ensemble? It would make a very cool Woodwind Quintet.

chris.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    I will risk a comparison (which are my OPINIONS and nothing more):

I found your wife's piece to be non-descript. It was basically a piano etude on classically standard harmonic progressions. It lacked inventiveness. There were no surprises. It was, obviously, quite pianistic and well crafted from that standpoint. Musically it fell short.

Your piece was not in any way atonal, as a matter of fact, it was no less tonal than your wife's. I don't understand why you would add that caveat. It was more adventurous harmonically, and yes, more dissonant, but it was by no plausible definition "atonal". I found your piece considerably more interesting, both rythmically and melodically. The "spicy" harmonies were well conceived and felt un-forced. You should probably explore that side of your musical personality more, it obviously suits a repressed side of you!
    “Caroline.....! ”
    “Caroline, can you come here?”
    “What’s up? I’m ironing”
    "Caroline honey, there’s this guy on the computer. He says your music is non-descript.”
    “Non-descript?”
    “Yeah - you know that little piece you wrote and I put on the forum for you?”
    “I remember. “
    “He says it’s non-descript.”
    “Non-descript?”
    “Yep. And lacking in inventiveness.”
    “Lacking in inventiveness?”
    “’Fraid so. And that it fell short musically”.
    (Pause).
    "Where does he live?”
    “Calm down dear - he’s in Canada”
    Good job he’s in Canada, that’s all I can say!!..

(I’m joking of course folks!!!)
    Thanks for your comments, Mr. Cowboy. We appreciate the feedback!! Each to his own opinions - Viva Le Difference!! I’ll stick by what I said about my piece being atonal, if that’s OK, sir, due to it being, er, devoid of a tonal centre, and not in a particular key.

Thanks to the other responses too. Much appreciated. Glad someone enjoyed our little pieces. Take care...
    Jon

Jon:

I enjoyed both pieces and you can praise your wife for her contribution here at the forum. But.........I found your piece more inventive. My vote goes to you in the "my music vs. the wife's."

Really enjoyable....and I, too, would like to hear your piece orchestrated. Lot's of ammunition here for an outstanding orchestral arrangement.

BRAVO to both of you,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    Have you thought about orchestrating "Hypertension" into something for a chamber ensemble? It would make a very cool Woodwind Quintet.

chris.
    Great idea, Chris. I'll get to work on it as soon as I have a minute. I think, as you suggest, I will arrange it for wind quintet. Thanks for the idea. Watch this space.....
    Regards
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Jon:

Really enjoyable....and I, too, would like to hear your piece orchestrated. Lot's of ammunition here for an outstanding orchestral arrangement.

BRAVO to both of you,

Jack
    Thanks, Jack!
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jonray
    I’ll stick by what I said about my piece being atonal, if that’s OK, sir, due to it being, er, devoid of a tonal centre, and not in a particular key.
    and I will stick by mine, telling you that your piece is FAR from being "atonal" to any extent. It is tonaly unstable, but has very clear tonal centers through-out. If you wish to compose music that is without tonality I recommend avoiding major chords, suspensions, returns to tonal centers (your piece has a strong E-tonal center). Your ears betray ye!

Any analytical debate aside, I do enjoy your piece considerably, and I rather like it "as is", as a piano piece.

I'm sorry your wife did not appreciate my comments and take them as a stepping stone to improving herself. I am more dismayed by her apparent Canadophobism.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast