• Register
  • Help

Topic: Easy Question (How to play Stacato)

Share/Bookmark

Easy Question (How to play Stacato)

I'm new to GPO and am working on a big project so I need answers. Thanks in advance. I'm working in a simple notation program (I'll leave it at that) because I'm not accustomed to sequencing and was wondering why all the sounds play legato, almost a "wah wah" effect for each note rather than a "ta ta". This makes runs and stuff difficult since everything is slurred together. I think I've tried adjusting the MOD wheel, volume, note durration, and velocity. I've also adjusted the reverb, to no avail.

What do I need for notes to play "ta (silence) ta" versus "wahwah"?

Re: Easy Question (How to play Stacato)

You want a short duration note with a high velocity for fast attack. How to achieve that in your notation program is anybody's guess...

In Sibelius notating for staccato (dot above or below the note head) automatically shortens the duration. There's a setting that lets you determine the percentage of playing vs. silence.

Or... you could notate with a sledge hammer, and put in a 1/64th note followed by a 63/64ths rest...

-JF

Thanks. That helped a lot.

But I find that doing a simple run on any capable horn, lets say flute, results in notes not being played. I'm thinking this has to do with my processor, an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz. GPO and the comp progragam together max out the processor. Could this be a hindrance to playing fast runs and thickly scored material?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by drtrmiller0911
    I'm new to GPO and am working on a big project so I need answers. Thanks in advance. I'm working in a simple notation program (I'll leave it at that) because I'm not accustomed to sequencing and was wondering why all the sounds play legato, almost a "wah wah" effect for each note rather than a "ta ta". This makes runs and stuff difficult since everything is slurred together. I think I've tried adjusting the MOD wheel, volume, note durration, and velocity. I've also adjusted the reverb, to no avail.

What do I need for notes to play "ta (silence) ta" versus "wahwah"?
    Hi drtrmiller0911,

Thanks for posting. Achieving staccato in a notation program should not be difficult. The results will be achieved differently if you are using Finale, Siblius, Overture, or other notation program. In some notation programs a staccato marking will be interpreted and produce the desired technique. In Finale Human Playback does some of the interpretation, In Sibelius it's done a different way and in Overture you can edit your controllers.

Some will depend on what type of staccato (spiccato, marcato, staccatissimo) and there is also a length control to shorten notes. But depending on which notation program you use, doing runs and various short notes may be done differently. It would help to know what notation program you use. Also, it may help to ask on the GPO forum as we have members who use GPO in the various notation programs.

Gary Garritan

I'm using a very simple composition program--NoteWorthy Composer. I own Finale 2005, but am very slow at using it, so I prefer NWC. I am worried that my PC may be holding me back, being that I have 768 Mb of RAM and a 2.2 Ghz processor. Like I said earlier, I think I'm now getting short notes, it's just a matter of getting all of them to play. Here's an image of what I'm doing and sound example of what I'm getting from GPO.

The image is here:
    http://studiomiller.net/dir/sound example.jpg
    (please copy and paste in browser)

And the sound link here:
    http://studiomiller.net/dir/example.wav

Thanks!

drtrmiller0911,

The link to your image didn't seem to work but I heard the flute example.

Keol from this forum wrote a GPO - Noteworthy Tutorial you may find useful - http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/NWC-tutorial.htm

There are some Noteworthy Composer users (and Finale users) on the GPO forum that may be able to provide further advice.

Gary Garritan

I was just tinkering with the audio driver (I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS) and I figured out that my ASIO latency value was the problem. I ended up getting this to 7 ms and everything plays perfectly now. I'll have to load the full band to see if multiple runs and stuff will work, but as for the notes not being played, that was an ASIO issue. As far as NWC, I'm having to operate the MPCs through the proprietary Insert MPC. That's not very difficult.

Anyway, I've been working all day on this. Thanks a lot!!!!!!

Go Back to forum