• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: M. Brecker

M. Brecker

Following my series of exercises this is 32 bars of M. Brecker solo on "In the presence and the absence of each other" from "Cityscape". Ok, it's not exactly Brecker, but i think it's a fairly good rendition. Sax is Tenor 1, GPO strings, Brush set 1, Jazz bass 1.

My best

click on "scarica"

if somebody is interested in the complete transcription of this solo i've done, here is a link, scroll down to the Roberto Soggetti's section

Thumbs up Re: M. Brecker

This is a great rendition. The saxophone is very persuasive. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing.

Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Re: M. Brecker

Beautiful work still again, Roberto.

That sax is emminently convincing... plus a great overall sound to it.

I appreciated the brush work as well -- "just right".

Roberto, you have certainly been busy,
    sounds good!

Superb Work Roberto.!!

You are becoming the JABB Master. The fact that your tastes run so closely to mine is a huge bonus for me.

Tenor 1 is a very good fit for the Brecker sound.
    2 things impressed me here.
    The legato sounded really quite good. (Legato is the most troubling thing for me, I am never totally happy with it.)
    The other thing is that characteristic, harmonic/alternative fingering thing.(Bar 14/15 of your excellent transcription).
    Would you share with us how you achieved that sound? (Pitch bend???)

Another wonderful effort.

regards Joe

Orcas Island

Masterful work and very tastefully done . The sax work and the brushes are excellent.

Thanks for posting this. And please share with us some tips on how you realized this.

Gary Garritan

Jun, thank you for listening, it's a honour

David, thanks a lot for the words of encouragement you pour on the people of this forum, i think you are helping people get out their best

Dan, thank you; yes it's been quite a job, it took about 4-5 hours of work to have an acceptable phrasing on the tenor. I believe this kind of copying real performances teaches me a lot though, and i have a true passion for it

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    The fact that your tastes run so closely to mine is a huge bonus for me.

regards Joe
    Joe, i think we have some kind of musical brotherhood, because i find your
    music too very close to my taste. It might be that we've had a similar
    education/experience in music. Anyway, thank you for your kind words, brother

- length parameter set to zero

- notes slightly overlapping

- different velocity values to give runs a touch of non-perfection

- of course cc64, sometimes in groups of four or two notes, sometimes in whole phrases

- modulation used to underline passages, soften or harden (?) attacks.

Alternate fingering:

you guessed it, pitch bend. The alternate note is really a semitone lower, but
    the pitch is raised a half tone so to match the preceding note. A word about
    pitch: real performers do not always conform to tempered tuning. This means
    flattening major thirds, raising perfect fifths and so on, and an expressive
    use of intonation, for example to give tension to long notes. I have manually
    altered the pitch of the whole track

Good stuff!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Super Sax stuff. You are a master at JABB. What a pleasure to listen to those instruments properly crafted.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast