• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Searching for dynamics/compressor/limiter suggestions

Share/Bookmark

OT: Searching for dynamics/compressor/limiter suggestions

Hello there!

I have been reading that the built-in compressor in Cubase SX2 is supposed to create some kind of distortions or unwanted effects. I don't own mega-expensive monitors so I couldn't tell if that was true.

Still I would like to try some other compressor to put into the insert or send effects of some instruments/sections when composing/mixing. Of course I started google and searched this forum and kvraudio.com, but the amount of software is baffling me. I looked into the Kjaerhus Audio freebies which sound great. The izotope Ozone mastering thingie also seems to be cool but the demo is using up enormous amounts of computing power. Absolutely unusable as insert, but great for mastering, I suppose.

Could you suggest a few other (possibly free and multi-band) compressors that are easy on the CPU and usable as inserts etc? Thanks for your help, guys!
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Re: OT: Searching for dynamics/compressor/limiter suggestions

Hey people, I put all my trust in you. Please do not leave me in the dark. Even a link to show me where to start my quest would be helpful.

I feel overwhelmed by the 100eds of available plugins.....
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    possibly free and multi-band
    Frankly, I doubt there is a _free_ multiband compressor that can do better than Cubase's one. Expensive, there are a lot. Free, I know none.

Paolo

Pete,

I run Nuendo, and I have the Waves Gold pack that I depend on for such things, but Waves ain't cheap.

As an aside, I read an article the other day in Electronic Musician that talked about a technique of using multiple compressors in series to emulate the RNC (Really Nice Compressor). Basically, each compressor in the chain hits it very lightly. Between several instances you get a fair amount of compression, but since each one isn't doing that much on its own it's fairly transparent.

I used a similar technique on a CD project I'm working on right now where the first instance compressed one frequency, the next compressed a different frequency, etc. This turned out to be a more subtle way of shaping a voiceover than using EQ.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass that along since it's the kind of tools you're researching...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Thank you all for replying to my initial question!! Your input and links to further reading and software are much appreciated!

After browsing the web, various forums, the suggested websites and about 50 others I finally asked myself the big question: "Do I have ears good enough to really hear the differences between all the compressors? And more importantly: Can my cheap monitors depict the sound change?".

In the end I decided to start using the built-in Multiband compressor in SX2, while downloading some demos and freeware compressors to try them out later.

Thank you so much!
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    Hello there!

I have been reading that the built-in compressor in Cubase SX2 is supposed to create some kind of distortions or unwanted effects. I don't own mega-expensive monitors so I couldn't tell if that was true.

Still I would like to try some other compressor to put into the insert or send effects of some instruments/sections when composing/mixing. Of course I started google and searched this forum and kvraudio.com, but the amount of software is baffling me. I looked into the Kjaerhus Audio freebies which sound great. The izotope Ozone mastering thingie also seems to be cool but the demo is using up enormous amounts of computing power. Absolutely unusable as insert, but great for mastering, I suppose.

Could you suggest a few other (possibly free and multi-band) compressors that are easy on the CPU and usable as inserts etc? Thanks for your help, guys!
    Hello,

try Digital Fish Phones Endorphine - double band compressor. I use it on GPO's timpani to Hollywoodize them all the time.

http://www.digitalfishphones.com/mai...em=2&subItem=3

I'm not a big fan of Kjaerhus's free compressor ... give the Voxengo Crunchessor a try (not free but very good)

Cheers Matt

Thank you!

That Digitalfishphone Compressor is one on my list marked for trying out! Will take a loot at it.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

Might try this...

http://www.voxengo.com/product/marquiscomp/

(For PC)

They make good stuff... and reasonably priced.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Go Back to forum