• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO in Sonar-envelopes-control vs. NRPN

Share/Bookmark

GPO in Sonar-envelopes-control vs. NRPN

When creating a midi envelope in sonar, is there any reason to use "NRPN" instead of "control" when choosing the type of envelope?
    I normally use control, but some discussion on the sonar board about using NRPN.

As I have chronic problems with midi envelopes, I am looking for any way around my envelope problems. (basically, they don't work all the time, in all my softsynths, sonar versions 3 & 4, even after total windows reinstall)
    I hope Sonar v5 I just ordered will finally give me good envelopes. If not, I'm through with Sonar.

Re: GPO in Sonar-envelopes-control vs. NRPN

Squoze,
    My 2 cents:

Using midi envelopes with GPO does not give you enough nuanced control. I've used them with some success, but now draw controllers in the piano roll only. It's much quicker and it's much easier to modify.

These two approaches (controller events and envelopes) are not mutually compatible in SONAR either, as you may have discovered. If you attempt to draw controller events in the piano roll, they can conflict with any envelopes that are assigned to the same controller (CC#1 in GPO in your case probably), and the sound can become erratic as the events and the envelope compete for control of the values of the shared controller.

And once you commit to envelopes (shape events in SONAR), there's no easy conversion to normal controller events. You can convert controller events to shapes/envelopes, but not the other way around. (Well, you can, by saving the entire project as midi, and then re-importing or copy/pasting the midi back into your .cwp project).

I vaguely remember the NPRN discussions in the SONAR forum, but think it had to do with controlling parameters on effects.
    Bill

Thanks, Bill.

I'm pretty sure that Sonar 5 has much better envelope editing tools (drawing tools such as: Pencil, shapes, etc.). Editing envelopes in S5 should therefore be much more like editing CC data in Piano Roll.

I know there have been issues with envelope/automation reliability in Sonar. I'm not really familiar with the exact problems though. They've been discussed in many threads on the Sonar forum.

Go Back to forum