• Register
  • Help

Topic: Few Questions on VSTi Orchestration

Share/Bookmark

Few Questions on VSTi Orchestration

Now i've played cello for 10 plus years as well as piano, guitar, bass guitar, etc for a few years so i know the music side of things. No problem there.

My questions have to do with the different tools to orchestrate with virtual instruments and how to organize them.

what im using. Cubase SX 3, QLSO Silver (i know needs to be upgraded to plat. or gold), and Kontakt 2.

For now im just going to use the VSL instruments that came with Kontakt 2 which sound pretty good after some minor tweaks.

1. I see Xfades (im guessing this meens crossfade?) alot and i see it had something to do with the modwheel. When you use the modwheel it makes the sound louder and more vibrant and such. Is this all it does or are there other things you can do with X Fade Instruments? I though that maybe with these kind of instruments you could crossfade from sustain into Tremelo.

2. How should i group the different instruments and how many should I have of each? For instance should i have 2 seerate Cello ensembles to make better transitions to the different sounds and expressions i want?

And if what im asking is just personal preferance then PLEASE explain to me how you do things

Thanks alot,
    Pfraser

Re: Few Questions on VSTi Orchestration

bump... any tips will be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Pfraser
    Now i've played cello for 10 plus years as well as piano, guitar, bass guitar, etc for a few years so i know the music side of things. No problem there.

My questions have to do with the different tools to orchestrate with virtual instruments and how to organize them.

what im using. Cubase SX 3, QLSO Silver (i know needs to be upgraded to plat. or gold), and Kontakt 2.

For now im just going to use the VSL instruments that came with Kontakt 2 which sound pretty good after some minor tweaks.

1. I see Xfades (im guessing this meens crossfade?) alot and i see it had something to do with the modwheel. When you use the modwheel it makes the sound louder and more vibrant and such. Is this all it does or are there other things you can do with X Fade Instruments? I though that maybe with these kind of instruments you could crossfade from sustain into Tremelo.

2. How should i group the different instruments and how many should I have of each? For instance should i have 2 seerate Cello ensembles to make better transitions to the different sounds and expressions i want?

And if what im asking is just personal preferance then PLEASE explain to me how you do things

Thanks alot,
    Pfraser
    Well... I'll try. What I have found is that, within the limits of available memory and processing power, it is best to build real sections of instruments. I use GPO and it's pretty good if you go at it from that perspective. So... if I am making strings, I'll put three different violins together with a violin section patch then mix them until they sound real to me. Sometimes I trade out several of the individual violins until I get what I want. Then I assign them all to one channel and direct the violin MIDI track to that channel in GPO. Same for each section in the orchestra. It's time and memory consuming, but I like the sound. Here's an example file using that technique throughout for the strings:

http://airworthysound.com/show/OGM - pure virtual.mp3

When you open the key editor for the violins, down at the bottom, you can select which controller lane[s] to view. Use the parabola tool to create realistic atriculations and expressions according your instrument's capabilites.

Hope that is useful and helpful to you.

I do think a lot of what floats my boat is personal preference.
    I use EW Gold in combination with KH Emerald Strings.
    I've come to have a preset multi for my brass, woodwinds, and percussion, and tuned percussion in Gold, and have used those same 4 multis for the last 4 songs. Most all of them are the keyswitched instruments or cross fades.

My string section in Emerald has been slowly evolving over the past 4 pieces as I find the ones that work for me and have the potential for the most immediate variety. Once again, I'm using most all of the keyswitched instruments when they're available and when they're not I'll load 2 or 3 cello articulations and keep them loaded for the whole song.

The last 2 pieces I had about 20 string instruments from Emerald loaded in Giga Studio, allowing me to access the necessary articulations to get the work done.

If the playability of the strings is important to you, I'd recommend you listen to the KH Emerald demos. I've found them to be very good and they blend well with Gold brass, perc. and WWinds, and will probably also blend well with Silver.

Also, Emerald is a full orchestra and the wwinds brass and percussion are very powerful. I just haven't spent enough time with them to get them into a composition as of yet.

You're using K2 so you should definitely checck out Theo Kruegers script page:

http://www.theokrueger.com/Kontakt2.htm

Lot's of effort has gone into these for no apparant financial gain to the authors. It's amazing, really!

I think J's ensemble maker by J Bacal may suit your needs.

ok a little sample of something i just started working on using stock samples from K2 and the sample lib Kirk Hunter Virtuoso series.

tell me wat u think.

http://media.putfile.com/The-Rising-Sun

Go Back to forum