• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO + JABB crash

Share/Bookmark

GPO + JABB crash

I am working on Generations and need both GPO and JABB. Part 1 is done entirely in GPO. Now, I have installed JABB and when I run GPO/JABB (thus, I don't know which forum to post this in), I get a nice clicking loud clicking sound. The samples crash and I'm left with this loud clicking. The Windows Task Manager shows the Processor maxed out at 100% and the Memory is only 52% (this doesn't matter as this is just storing the samples, and doesn't change during this crash). The Garritan Studio program shows the CPU usage as 500% or more (most I've gotten so far is a little over 820% in it). It doesn't appear to happen consistantly, just towards the beginning of the song. This problem didn't occur till I installed JABB but my client is requiring Saxes and drum kits for part 2. Even if I have just the full orchestra loaded without any JABB instruments, this problem occurs. It did not occur when I had just GPO. Note, I did install the JABB update.

My computer specifications:
    Intel Pentium 4 3.2E GHz HT
    2 GB DDR RAM
    160 GB HDD
    Microsoft Windows XP Home
    ATI RADEON Video Card
    Creative Audigy Sound Card
    Sibelius 4
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Re: GPO + JABB crash

CJ,

Try attenuating the CPU/Quality control on the lower right of the Ambience Reverb. Also, raise the buffers on your Audigy to 1,024. See if that helps.

Gary

I see two problems arise already...
    1. I am not using Ambience right now.
    2. Neither of my sound cards (the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE and the onboard AC97) have the ability to change the buffer size. It's either that or I don't see any hardware/software methods of doing it.
    And if this helps, I got the SoundBlaster at Walmart (hey, it's close. The closes actual computer store is stuck out in the middle of some of the busiest roads in Pittsburgh...right by the Parkway).
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

CJ,
    You should be able to access the buffer settings in the sequencing program, in Audio settings...I'm not sure which program you're using, but try that and let us know.
    Steph

for example...I use Sonar 4PE, and I click on "options" and then scroll down to audio and from there I can change the buffer size etc.

Ambeince is built into Studio and enabled by default. Click on the Ambience screen and adjust CPU.

Not sure how the raise the buffers with Soundblaster. Try accesing it through your control panel. It may be that the buffers max out at a low figure. Wal-mart needs more soundcards.

oh darn...should have read more closely or something...using studio..that in itself will raise CPU usage. I use GPO as a DXi because of that reason alone. hmmm...I guess I'll go away and be quiet as I don't know what I'm talking about. I really should stop trying to help people when I need so much help myself!

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    oh darn...should have read more closely or something...using studio..that in itself will raise CPU usage. I use GPO as a DXi because of that reason alone. hmmm...I guess I'll go away and be quiet as I don't know what I'm talking about. I really should stop trying to help people when I need so much help myself!
    Normally you do set it up in Audio settings. There are many advantages to working with a sequencer and accessing audio setting is one of them. So don't be quiet Movie!

CJ it may be a good idea to work with a sequencer. Studio was primarily designed for notation programs and as an interim solution. Since Finale, Sibelius and Overture now integrate GPO directly there is becoming less of a need for studio.

Well, upgrading GPO helped for the most part. Also, lowering the quality of the reverb to about 60-75% provided the sound I wanted without causing many clicks (there are one or two left now...gonna look into those).

I don't like the feel of sequencing programs. Can't work with music well unless I have a full score infront of me. I also don't have enough money to purchase the GPO for Sibelius right now as I just spend money on a RAM upgrade and JABB.

EDIT: Nevermind...keeps crashing. Time to remove some junk from this thing...
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Ok, Windows is using up too much now for even disabling Ambience or switching to a sequencer. Just gonna reinstall it and get rid of all this extra junk. Just bring it down to Sibelius, GPO and JABB.

EDIT: Woops, double post.
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Go Back to forum