• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Which has the best native FX - Mixtreme or Pulsar II?

Share/Bookmark

Which has the best native FX - Mixtreme or Pulsar II?

I\'m choosing between the Soundscape Mixtreme and Creamware Pulsar II cards with onboard DSP.

IS anyone able to give an opinion on which has the best integrated FX?

I suppose the most critical and difficult to get right is the reverbs.

I know the Pulsar has a 32 channel mixer instead of 16, and soft synths, but the FX are important.

Thanks ,
    Rick

Re: Which has the best native FX - Mixtreme or Pulsar II?

I haven\'t heard the Pulsar II dsp, which is probably more powerful (longer delays / reverbs) since it is a newer processor.

If money\'s not an object you can install 4 Mixtremes in one pc which will add the power of 4 Motorola dsp processors or wait for the \"Mixpander\" dsp only pci card - rumours say it will have 6 Motorolas on-board.

Regarding the Wave Mechanics Reverb quality on my Mixtreme, I am very much content. But the best plug-in is supposed to be the TC Reverb (www.tcelectronic.com), which shares algorithms with their studio reverb units - more expensive.

Has anyone listened to both cards?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Matrix:
    ...or wait for the \"Mixpander\" dsp only pci card - rumours say it will have 6 Motorolas on-board.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! How soon then, according to the rumors, will this card be released? I can\'t wait! I really need more than 1 reverb from Mixtreme....

Deep White

Dear Chadwick, Deep White and someone who are interested in many ways of expansions, otherwise just simply ignore it,

Whether Pulsar or Mixtreme is the professional way in digital recording studio systems if you can afford. More flexible, your hardware won\'t never be a limited. Later on if you still won\'t be happier, just simply add the external digital mixer and/or external effect processing...many many ways without upgrade your PC. It is a huge of saving/spending money here (save on PC and spend on expansions). The very first thing that you need to prepare is to make sure you could afford two of Mixtremes or Pulsars (ThreePlus is best).
    Mixtreme and Pulsar have huge of supporting at third party effect plug-in FX like TC Reverb for mixtreme can be used on the pulsar, I guess, a lot of VST plug-in as well...Damn it, they want to steal your money badly...Sorry, maybe I just scare you a bit.
    BTW, I\'m thinking to get both, mixtremes and Pulsars in same PC, just for fun, might be a soundcard-collector ($350~$400 for mixtreme is not bad deal). If you can wait about 2~3 weeks, I could tell you exactly how it works.

Just a reference,
    LHong

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 08-06-2000).]

Lhong can you point me to a $350 Mixtreme card?

Hi Deep White,
    my local Soundscape agent told me this some months ago, and anticipated a price close to $ 3000 - I hope you are not disappointed now.

=========================================
    Lhong can you point me to a $350 Mixtreme card?
    =========================================
    Sorry, my friends, $350~$400 for the DEMO card from Guitar-Center, it\'s not on-sale, same price at everywhere about $479.95 + Tax and shipping fee.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Matrix:
    Hi Deep White,
    my local Soundscape agent told me this some months ago, and anticipated a price close to $ 3000 - I hope you are not disappointed now.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don\'t understand! 6 DSPs cost $3000? That means 1 cost $500? Then it also means that the DSP on the Mixtreme card costs more than anything else on the card?

I\'ll caculate what a 6-DSP expansion can do and see if it\'s worth &3000. If it gives me eq and compressor on each track along with 3 or 4 TC Reverbs, and allows me to send the final mix directly to the TC Dynamizer for mastering, without mixing the project to 2-track first, I might still consider it.

Deep White

[This message has been edited by Deep White (edited 08-08-2000).]

Hi LHong,

I\'m very interested with Pulsar/Scope. Can you tell me more about it? Like:

1. I saw on the Creamware website that Scope has 15 DSPs and Pulsar got 4. Does that mean Scape is the deluxe version of Pulsar? or they are made to do different things?

2. Is Pulsar II out now? and how does it compare to Pulsar/Scope?

3. Is it true that Pulsar eats a lot of computer resource when it\'s loaded? And does that cause any trouble?

Thanks & Regards,

Deep White

The answers as follows:
    1> Scope, Pulsar, Powersampler, SRB, Luna, Elektra are same Pulsar/scope family architure design. It maens you can have any combination for the expansion and its DSP power is determined by amount of SHARC-DSP on-board, you could expand the DSP\'s power to it when you need to. The Scope is a top hi-end product (15-DSP, Max 24 I/O, about $5,000), second hi-end is PulsarII (6-DSP, 20-28 I/O $1,300) and the new one just came out to market is Luna 2496 (3-DSP, Max 36 I/O ~$900). My opinion, the Pulsar II is good choice for the Giga and best seller for Creamware now.

2> Pulsar II has been available in May, 2000.

3> Simple answer is NO. The Pulsar software release V2.0 seems be problems in OS but then the V2.01 upgraded-path are very stable now, Just like a mixtreme there are some system optimization need to be done to best taking advantage of DAW system (including in the user manual). A PIII or Athlon 500Mhz with 256Mhz should be better than enough for Cakewalk/Logic/Cubase + Gigastudio + Pulsar, to run all programs side by side without any problems.
    I found the Pulsar doesn\'t use much PC resourse as the Cakewalk-SEQ does if you don\'t use the pulsar\'s built-in sampler (AKAI-S1000). For Us it should be fine because we are having the Gigastudio (no need the pulsar sampler).

Of course the pulsar is one of the most complexity DSP cards, be prepared some learning time issue, it is the best soundcard I\'ve ever had which is would be working with the GigaStudio at truly 32 output channels. I think you are mixtreme\'s owner, you have known how important it is.
    Don\'t forget some other professional must pay about up $250,000.00 for the completed DSP-DAW-systems. See this SITE: http://www.dspmedia.com/

Hope this helps,
    LHong

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 08-08-2000).]

Go Back to forum