• Register
  • Help

Topic: Do I need 2 soundcards or will the Delta 66 work?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Do I need 2 soundcards or will the Delta 66 work?

Delta 66 will run cakewalk audio and Giga sound simultaneously (but on separate output channels).

I think both programmes will need to have the same sample rate base - ie Giga\'s basic sample rate - say 48khz, will have to be the same as the sample rate on the Cakewalk tracks. There are very few audio cards which let different apps use different sample rates.

Do I need 2 soundcards or will the Delta 66 work?

I am getting ready to buy a Compaq 700 MHz Pentium 3, 20 gig hard drive, 128 megs SDRAM and also get the Midiman Delta 66 soundcard which has 4 ins, and 4 outs. I want to run Cakewalk and Gigasampler on the same computer. Will the Delta 66 be able to do that or do I need another soundcard?
    The Delta 66 is multiclient and GSIF supported.
    Thanks!

Why would I need seperate output channels to hear Gigasampler and Cakewalk? Isn\'t the Soundblaster Awe 64 Gold supposed to work with Cakewalk and Gigasampler? That cheap soundcard couldn\'t possibly have enough outputs to play just Gigasampler and Cakewalk in true sterio! I thought it actually only had one RCA input and one RCA output.
    The delta 66 has 4 ins and 4 outs, I would think using just 2 outs(left/right) going into my amp should play the samples and hear the samples in Cakewalk at the same time wouldn\'t it?

Damon,
    Though, I need to explain it a little here in order to answer all your questions at once including Multi-client, Multi-output channels, GSIF hardware, why you need two soundcards? the PC for Giga, why you need more output channels? etc. Let\'s see how Nemesy\'s defined the Multi-client as follows:

A> Multi-client?
    ===========================================
    \"If an audio card is multiclient, then it will support mupliple applications simultaneously. For example, one pair of output channels may be assigned to GigaStudio, another pair may be assigned to a sequencer. If a card is not multiclient, the second application will get an \'Already in Use\' error when it attempts to open the output channels of the audio card, because all the outputs are reserved for the first application....even if the application does not need them all.
    Some cards can support multiclient operation with specific channels (ie. channels 1-4 are to be used for ClientA, channels 5-8 are to be used for ClientA or ClientB.....but ClientB cannot use channels 3,4 if ClientA is using channels 1,2). (see the yellow \"details\" link in the Multiclient column of the table and the \'Comments\' section of the \'More Info\' link)
    2 channel cards are by default, not multiclient. These cards will have \'n/a\' (not applicable) in the Multiclient column...\"
    ===========================================
    Thanks Nemesy.
    Well, the definition above is explained why you need two soundcards if it doesn\'t have MULTI-CLIENT feature.

B> Multi-output channels?
    I think the the Multi-output channels also a definition of multi-client, but the difference is it\'s counted on the maximum of how many Left and Right channels can be played at same time (simultaneously), each Multi-clients have two output channels (L/R) or more. Each audio programs (cakewalk, cubase, cool edit, logic, giga, etc) is required at least one multi-client but it can used multiple output channels (more than two L/R) at same time. It will be explained more in (C)
    C> GSIF Hardware/driver compatible?
    I don\'t know exactly how Nemesy specs the GSIF (Giga Sampler InterFace), but I know the GSIF driver would supports multiple MIDI and Audio driver operation which are allowed the Giga program can puts individual audio-streaming into individual audio-output channels with or without the NFX in independendly. For instance, the Delta 66 has 4 outputs which are allowed the GigaStudio can applied two sets of NFX1~4 for each pair of L/R channels for inserting as well as two sets of NFXS for the AUX BUS1~2. Therefore, more audio output channels are more NFXS can be used. Like the Mixtreme has 16 outputs (NFXx8), Pulsar has 32 outputs (NFXx16) for example. This is also to answer your other questions about why the giga needs more audio output channels. Of course it would gives you more flexibilities for using multiple NFX (EQ, Reverb, Echo, Chorus) within a same GigaStudio project. More is better! isn\'t it? make sure your PC is fast enough to handle it! this also answer other questions about why you need at least PIII/Athlon-500MHz with 256MB-DRAM and HD-7,200RPM. Here are the approximate CPU performance based-on 500Mhz-256MB for each NFX\'s being used
    fx-reverb = 8~12%
    fx-chorus= 4~6%
    fx-delay=2~4%
    fx-EQ=???
    Hope this helps, to find out which soundcard and PC are best for GigaStudio also depends on your $$$. Honestly, I wouldn\'t like to say which one is the best, it is matter that the way you use it (your taste). If you can afford, about soundcard, I recomend the Mixtreme or/and Pulsar, both cards have hardware DSP and digital-mixing board features of course they have more output channels (16~32) and multiple MIDI drivers (4~8 in Pulsar) and only use one IRQ (no matter how many expansion cards).
    Good lucks, my friend, do I miss anything? anyone?
    LHong

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damon:
    Why would I need seperate output channels to hear Gigasampler and Cakewalk? Isn\'t the Soundblaster Awe 64 Gold supposed to work with Cakewalk and Gigasampler? That cheap soundcard couldn\'t possibly have enough outputs to play just Gigasampler and Cakewalk in true sterio! I thought it actually only had one RCA input and one RCA output.
    The delta 66 has 4 ins and 4 outs, I would think using just 2 outs(left/right) going into my amp should play the samples and hear the samples in Cakewalk at the same time wouldn\'t it?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 08-22-2000).]

Just gave my computer tech 1325 bucks for buying me a Delta 1010 soundcard, Cakewalk 9 Pro Audio and install an extra 8 gig hard drive in my computer and sell me a practically new Mackie 1202 mixer. A good deal I think.
    I\'ll have one hard drive for sequencers and another for audio.
    I should think after the computer is set up with that monster Delta 1010 soundcard, I shouldn\'t have many problems. If so, I\'ll look into getting a different sampler such as the Emagic ESX24.

1010\'s a good choice. I haven\'t heard anything but praise for it.

Good luck, now get back to the music!

Go Back to forum