• Register
  • Help

Topic: Orchestra HELP

Orchestra HELP

I am going to have the RSSCO perform and record one of my works. I need help on deciding the right amount of players to perform the piece. It is a small ensemble work called "Canopy". The RSSCO can get any amount of players I need. The work is for: Flute, Clarinet, Bassoon, Contrabassoon, Trumpet, 1st Violin (only), Viola, Cello, and Bass. Based on the standard symphony setup and the number of players sampled on the software I use; this is what I have so far: 1 Flute, 1 Clarinet, 1 Bassoon, 1 Contrabassoon, 1 Trumpet, 4 Violins, 4 Violas (they act as the 2nd Violins), 2 Cello, 1 Bass.
    Does this arrangement sound balanced?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you...

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Re: Orchestra HELP

Michael, were it me, I would definitely try to enlist the conductor's aid in this.

Assuming he or she knows the players and their strengths and weaknesses and the venue under which they will perform, the conductor would be best suited to recommending the ensemble.

Traditionally, as well, ensemble configuration is typically under the purview of the conductor; and unless there is some overriding compositional concern requiring specificity in the ensemble, it is courteous to allow the conductor this decision.

Go Back to forum