• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sibelius 4.1 and GPO Questions

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius 4.1 and GPO Questions

I am considering purchasing Sibelius 4.1 and the GPO crossgrade, so I downloaded the Sibelius 4.1 demo (obviously doesn't include GPO, but as I implied, I already own the full version seperately).

I noticed that Sibelius properly chases midi patch changes, dynamics, etc. My question is, does the GPO version properly chase CC#1, pizz, arco, etc? I ask because it doesn't seem to so when I connect to GPO via Studio.

Also, will I be stuck with Kontak's crummy sounding sound processor (reverb, etc.), or will I be able to somehow connect to Ambience?

Thnx!

Re: Sibelius 4.1 and GPO Questions

The real advantage of the GPO Sibelius Edition is that your expression markings (pizz., arco, mute, and many more) generate the proper keyswitch changes on the fly during playback. dynamics are also handled very well without all the hassle of running plug-ins to get your hairpins to work (note, text such as cresc. or dim. do not affect dynamics, so you'll have to use hidden hairpins). Be aware also that since keyswitch instruction are generated only during playback, they do not become part of the file and will not be included if you export a MIDI file for use in a sequencer.

Also, because you are still using Sibelius' Kontakt player, you are limited to the reverb that is part of it. Hopefully at some point, there will be an upgrade to allow for the use of other reverb such as Ambience. I believe that the number of slots you can access (and therefore GPO instruments you can load) is determined by whether you have Kontakt Silver or Gold installed, so you may want to look into that as well.

Nevertheless, even with these current limitations, it is still a vast improvement over trying to play scores through GPO Studio. If you already have full GPO, it is a relatively inexpensive upgrade and is certainly an improvement over Kontakt Silver or Gold.

If you get the crossgrade, you can load 32 instruments for playback - regardless of whether you have Kontakt silver or gold.

If you use Sibelius, this crossgrade makes using GPO very easy.

R. Pearl

I personally prefer using 64 instruments in GPO. But if you are just starting out, go with the GPO for Sibelius. Don't do what I do, taking one large step and confusing yourself at first. Take it in small steps, start out with GPO for Sibelius and then for more control step up to the full GPO (and JABB).
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Hi Dr H,

If you click on my name and for my profile, click on "View Public Profile", my Power site will come up. If you then click on "Public Music", there are demos there to listen to if you like.
    All of the demo's were done using Sibelius 4/GPO Edition. The reverb was added later using a Kontakt 2 convolution reverb mixed into the audio file through my sequencer. So, in other words, what you are hearing is playback directly through Sibelius 4/GPO, but the reverb was added later in my sequencer.
    [some of the audio files on my power site are repeated twice - sorry if that confuses you, I just have to go there and get rid of the repeated audio files].

In the GPO/Sib 4 pdf manual, it gives the following advice..
    [Its a quote directly from the "Garritan Personal Orchestra Users Guide" for Sibelius 4]...
    If you want to use File > Export > Audio Track but find that you can’t play back
    all of the staves simultaneously, try exporting only one section at a time (e.g.
    winds first, then brass, then strings), before combining the resulting audio files
    in an audio editing application (such as Audacity, which is freely available from
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). All the files will be the same length, so it
    will be simple to mix them together. This will also allow you to use an external,
    off-line reverb for a more realistic recording.

I did not use the reverb that comes with the Kontakt player that is used for the sample performance in GPO. What I did was to record the score using Sibelius 4, but without reverb. You can easily select this option to record the score with or without reverb, when you go to play/playback and input devices/Kontakt Player Options. I exported the files you hear on the power site without reverb, and imported the resulting audio file into my Cakewalk HomeStudio 2004, and then added reverb to it, and then exported it as an mp3 file using a special cakewalk encoder.

I use the ConvoBoy convolution reverb inserted into the audio file. The convoboy can be downloaded from their site. Their is a "lite" kind of free download, and the proper download that you can pay for.
    If you already have a sequencer, this should be not hard to do. There are free downloadable reverbs that you can also try.
    If you do a search in the forum, there may be more information on reverb. I'm just not an expert in that area.

One other way would be to, when making the audio file in Sibelius 4, you could select a section of instruments, or just one instrument at a time, and add the reverb in the kontakt player, and you could turn it up or down depending on the reverb effect you want. You then export the files, and save them in a folder somewhere in the Sibelius memory, then later just combine them all in a free audio editing program, such as the manual suggests.

I actually find that the reverb with the Kontakt player in Sib 4/GPO actually sounds quite good, and I am considering experimenting with it's use, using the method I have just described. The reverb that comes with the Kontakt player is not too "reverby", it just seems to be quite nicely balanced for playback.
    I just find that exporting the file with no reverb, and adding reverb later is fine.

As regards "chasing" midi patch changes - I think I know what you mean - but I could also not know what you mean and I could give you the wrong information.
    But I do know that if I have entered a pizz earlier on in the score, and while editing the score, I start the score bars later than the pizz was entered, the score will still play that back as pizz., and I think that is what is meant by "chasing" midi patch changes.
    With keyswitch changes that are made automatically in Sib4 using text [such as entering "pizz." or "tremolo" etc], if you made the switch to pizz., or tremolo by entering text, you then, to set it back to ordinary arco style playing, make the text object on the entry of the violins after the tremolo or pizz. passage say "nat. arco" instead of just "arco".

I just thought I'd add that info as I found it really helpful.

anymore questions, I'll try to be as helpful as I can!

best wishes,

Steve.

Can Jabb be used within the Sib4 upgrade?

If you use tremolo slashes in Sib4, does it just repeat the same note, giving you that "machine gunny" effect, or does it play a tremolo sample?

And how does GPO interpret trill markings since there are different ways of notating trills?

Quote Originally Posted by EJ
    Can Jabb be used within the Sib4 upgrade?
    Yes and no. It won't work like the crossgrade, i.e. it won't automatically playback your score markings, dynamics, etc. You can, however use it as it was before, selecting GPO Studio as your playback device.

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Olen
    If you use tremolo slashes in Sib4, does it just repeat the same note, giving you that "machine gunny" effect, or does it play a tremolo sample?

And how does GPO interpret trill markings since there are different ways of notating trills?
    Olen,

If you write in trem, it will automatically switch to the tremolo sample. Sibelius can playback trills with great flexibility. If you have a particular way you notate them that isn't "supported" by Sibelius, you can always put in the symbols that Sibelius recognizes, and then hide them so they play back, but don't print.

R. Pearl

Okay, thanks R. Pearl. Too bad it doesn't read the tremolo slashes. Writing "trem" isn't proper notation. It's weird they implented it that way.

Go Back to forum