• Register
  • Help

Topic: has anyone tried the PowerSampler card from Pulsar ???

Share/Bookmark

has anyone tried the PowerSampler card from Pulsar ???

I\'m thinking of getting the PowerSampler card to use with Giga and also using it as a second sampler in the same PC...Anyone has any opinion/advices related to that card ??? Thanks

Re: has anyone tried the PowerSampler card from Pulsar ???

When you own the GigaStudio, you don\'t really need other samplers but you will need the good GSIF compatible soundcard. Though powersampler supports AKAI-S1000/2000/3000 and GSIF. However, you know Giga-sample sounds alot of better. How about Pulsar II, it has two time more DSPs, I/Os, many functionalities which are compared to the powersampler, of course they are able to expand when you need to and the price about double too! Either one should be fine! make sure to read the spec before you desire to get it!

yeh got power sampler and pulsar in,but on 96k sampling!
    converters sound good!

Hello LHONG,

I\'ve read a lot of enthousiastic posts from you about the Pulsar/Gigastudio/VST combination. Did you manage to use Gigastudio and VST together and do multitrack audio recording in VST without hickups (clicks/pops in audio tracks)?
    And what about VST instrument plugins on top of that?

I\'d like to know your settings so I can figure out if I can get the combination to work too.

Maybe you could contact me: marqueze@cyberdude.com

Thanks!

Jelle Bloemsma
    The Netherlands

Well, I couldn\'t simply answer your question. It is a trade-off, you need to know what is a limited on your system and how far they can go, even when you know how to tweak it to best taking performance, it never be enough that what you want. Let\'s say you have no problem with 16 MIDI (GigaStudio) and 20 audio stereo tracks with some pulsar devices and some pulsar effect processors. And now at same time you want to add some more VST instrument plugins with huge latency, as soon as you know there is some sound quality problems, quick solution is you need to reduce it, either amount audio-tracks, MIDI tracks or even less DSP-effect-processing due to your CPU/DSP and the memory in your system is already hit to the limit...My opinion to keep the CPU and DSP about max 75% power in used then less trouble you will get. these are where the clicks and cracles came from!
    I don\'t want to repeat it over and over, you might review my earlier posts. I\'m using the Cakewalk-Pro9 (not VST or Logic), but I see the concept should be same in performance, maybe the different audio program would give you a little 5~10% performance better, still not much when you always want to push so much jobs that what your system can handles it.
    Lets say about your system, a celeron with over clock, hosnestly I don\'t feel comfortable about your CPU and over clock at all. Why? If you know the process, how they test the CPU, it is determined the max Mhz on that CPU can takes, then you would probably agree with me on this point. Well, simple answer is it must ran over limit and in the especial realtime-recording, \"highly not recommended\"
    Just a reference, I could have about 28 audio tracks with some MIDI tracks (Giga) in the pulsar II/V2.01, it\'s mixing down successfuly, base on 44.1Khz/16B@750MHzAthlon-380MB-DRAM.

Just give you a rough idea...of course your system might has different behavior. you can directly mail me at:
    lhong@aptix.com
    P/S: question is why you need the VST strument plug-in, what are they? something that pulsar or Giga can\'t handles it? I don\'t have one, do I need it?
    Good lucks,

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 09-12-2000).]

Thanks for the reply,

You\'re right.. I\'m using an overclocked celeron. It\'s as stable as a chip can be; I never have crashes. Bought mine \'pretested\' which means I can return it if it won\'t do 900Mhz (www.powercomputing.co.uk).
    The strange thing is that when I only play back 2 audio tracks and a 5 voice chord progression in Gigasampler I already have ticks in the audio tracks. Even when I use ULLI settings of 25ms and no vst effects/plugins whatsoever.

I use seperate drives for audiotracks, gigastudio files and OS/Swapfile.

My processor workload doesn\'t get any higher than 25% so it appears that it\'s not the processor that\'s the problem.

I thought you might have some more knowledge about vcache and blocksize settings for a similar setup.

I\'m considering a dedicated gigastudio system which should solve all the problems.

Regarding the VST instrument plugins... www.nativeinstruments.com really has written truly incredible software. Their B4 plugin is really something else... as for Reaktor...
    I\'ve started selling a lot of outboard gear. I want to get rid of the cable mess I have in my little sudio and it\'s great to be able to save settings with songs.

PC is gradually overtaking outboard samplers/synths FX when it comes to bang for the buck!... investing in software licences seems to be the way to go right now for me...

Thanks again for the reply.

Jelle Bloemsma

Anyway, one or more things you can try:

+++ Under the system-Property-Performance, click the \"File System\" on setting, choose the \"Network Server\" then turn the slider to all way to right (Full). On the Virtual Memory, I have sellected \"let Window manage...\", you could try this as well. (assume you turn off the Hardware Acceleration, I have about none to 33% setting, either would works).

Please keep in mind that, this setup works fine for my system, might not works for others...as long as you know what you are doing, it doesn\'t hurt to get a tried!

+++ About the Pulsar ULLI settings of 13~25ms is working best in this case, MIDI-Audio (Cakewalk) is setting about 92~132ms. PCI-BIOS is setting about 3ms allowwd latency + disable zero wait state ( 1 wait)

+++ About Vcache: Min=Max about:
    a> 10~15% of RAM is best for audio when you have huge amount of audio tracks (>30)
    b> 20~35% of RAM is more efficency in Giga plus some little audio tracks (5~10).

These are the ideas how I\'ve tweaked it, I think most of those which are I\'ve already done. I just tell you the buttons and where I have pushed. Like what I said earlier, yours would behaves difference ways.
    BTW, do you use Gigasampler64? pulsar I or II? hey, the Gigasampler64 would works best for Pulsar. The GigaStudio160? I don\'t like it! Why? latency about double time worse! might be because I have Giga 2.0, do you think I should upgrade to the 2.01 or current version? I had a trouble in registration last months! I don\'t want to touch my setup unless I have to. I\'m talking about digital sound artifact and dynamic-sound (not signal quality)...Just simply to be compared the standard GIGAPIANO between them (GStudio and GSampler), You will tell unless the setup was wrong! I know 64 voices might be not enough for that piano-part but I did watch the metter, it shows about 59 is max.
    I\'ve just finish a mixdown song last night based-on about 34 stereo tracks (68 mono, in two Pulsar Bmixers, one DMxer) using GigaStudio160+PulsarI/II+Cakewalk+TascamDMixer, I will need to find the place to upload it? I can share with you if you like it, of course MP3 or other formats due to be compacted.
    About the VST instruments, thanks for the informs. Well, when I will run out of sound I know where to get but right now the Giga and Pulsar II are keeping me very busy...You know what I\'m talking about, right?
    Hope this helps, mail me the MIDI file from your project if you need my helps.
    Good lucks,
    LHong

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 09-13-2000).]

Go Back to forum