• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Mac Success Stories?

Share/Bookmark

GPO Mac Success Stories?

Ok I have been very dissapointed with my experiences with GPO so far and with the lack of response to the thread I posted about stability issues.

So I was asking around to some friends who do a lot of film work and to my dismay they said that the problems I was having were "known" and basically anyone who needs to get anything done runs GPO and anything else that depends on Kontakt on a PC. Since I am a logic user this was a pretty depressing bit of news.

So I am wondering can anyone out there tell me that they are using GPO with significant numbers of iterations (like you actually need for orchestrating) without any troubles on a Mac and if so what host and system version are you using?

Re: GPO Mac Success Stories?

I'm a EW/QL user myself so can't say much about GPO on Mac although I intend to try because Gary has been so helpful to me, but I do run a lot of instances of JABB with loads of other stuff flying about on a G5 2.5/2.5 (Logic Pro 7.1) without the slightest of problems, and I assume it works in a very similar manner.
    I know that's not particularly helpful but you seemed a bit lonely there. No doubt someone will wade in soon with all the technical stuff - I'm just a fluffy composer type person. Good luck, I've heard some great demos.

regards

Barrie

dennisgunn,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the kind words in your first post of yesterday.

There are many Mac users who use GPO with great success. And many GPO people find the freezing function of Logic very helpful. This problem is not "known" and has not been a widely reported issue. Your system seems fine and heft, and not sure why you are experiencing crashes upon freezing.

Do you have DFD disabled or enabled? Also have you tried raising your soundcard buffers? It could be a variety of reasons.

I took your logs you posted and sent them to Native Instruments to see if they can determine the problem. It is best to email me your computer logs rather than post them publicly as posting logs could pose a potential security threat.

If any Logic users have an idea please let us know. In the meanwhile I'll see what Native Instruments says.

Gary Garritan

Are you trying to freeze multiple tracks at once? As Gary said, when freezing a track, make sure your buffer is set as high as possible. Open your activity monitor and check what happens before the crash. Is it a result of a CPU spike? Are you running other aps along with Logic? You shouldn't be.

There are many things that could be causing a crash. If you notice a slowdown in playback, popping or intermittent dropouts, and especially if your activity monitor shows a very high CPU reading, the above are the usual causes. Don't load your tracks down with a lot of plugs like reverbs and such. These can suck the life out of a CPU. It's best to save these until you are totally in the audio domain.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    dennisgunn,
    Do you have DFD disabled or enabled?
    Sorry I am not sure what DFD is, I have tried different settings fo the "lock memory" function. Neither way seemed to make any difference that I could detect.

I should also mention that it is not just when I freeze that I run into trouble. I also get crashes when I am just running instruments and doing mundane editing. It seems like when I am editing in the matrix window I am a little more likely to run into problems than when I am just playing parts in live.

Also have you tried raising your soundcard buffers?
    I have run at a few different buffer settings but I do try to stick to ones that I am comfortable working in which after all was what I thought the whole point of freezing tracks in the first place was. I don't usually like to go much over 128 samples as I really hate dealing with latency while I am playing particularly since I am running actual live recordings and the garritan virtual stuff side by side. As you may know logic reloads each time you change the buffer so it is not really a very practical situation if one has keep changing the buffer all the time.

It could be a variety of reasons.

I took your logs you posted and sent them to Native Instruments to see if they can determine the problem. It is best to email me your computer logs rather than post them publicly as posting logs could pose a potential security threat.
    Thanks! I had not realized I was doing something dangerous.

If any Logic users have an idea please let us know. In the meanwhile I'll see what Native Instruments says.

Gary Garritan
    Thank you so much for your time. And really thank you for a magnificently concieved instrument. I just hope I can get it stable enough to get what I can see it is potentially cabable of doing out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Are you trying to freeze multiple tracks at once?
    Sometimes I am because when I am editing sometimes it makes sense to unfreeze a few tracks and make chenges in a few tracks at once since obviously parts are all interconnected.

As Gary said, when freezing a track, make sure your buffer is set as high as possible.

This seems very strange to me. I am wondering why this should be an issue since I am in offline freeze mode.

The computer can take as much or as little time to do the processing as it wants so I can't see at all what difference the IO buffer setting should be making.

That is the whole point of freeze right?

Open your activity monitor and check what happens before the crash. Is it a result of a CPU spike?
    I will try and do that.

Are you running other aps along with Logic? You shouldn't be.
    Mail, sometimes other stuff like Safari and Preview, and QT but it is never an usually an issue when I am not running GPO. Also when one is doing scoring to picture it is pretty important to be able use QT.

There are many things that could be causing a crash. If you notice a slowdown in playback, popping or intermittent dropouts, and especially if your activity monitor shows a very high CPU reading, the above are the usual causes. Don't load your tracks down with a lot of plugs like reverbs and such. These can suck the life out of a CPU. It's best to save these until you are totally in the audio domain.
    Karl
    I do do this. Unfortunately I am finding that GPO can crash Logic all by it's lonsome self.

I isolated at track that is an example of the problem I am experiencing.

I put it up on my website.

On my system if I just load the song. Freeze the track. Hit play. Unfreeze it hit play. And then hit the freeze button again and hit play logic will crash.

Sometimes it crashes on the first run through sometimes on the second freeze it never makes it to a third freeze. This is 100% reproducable over here.

If someone else could try it out I would be most grateful.

The file can be found here:

http://dennisgunn.com/Bass_test_4.zip

dennisgunn,

I contacted Native Instruments and heard back from them.

Your problem may not be GPO NI Player causing the crash, rather another Apple application. Perhaps the Unsanity Application Enhancer technology is crashing the computer when used with GPO. Perhaps it could be a combination of factors.

Unsanity makes small "hacks" which alter the operating system. Apple doesn't recommend them.

The crash log you posted reports thread 0 crashing with the APE extension in first thread.
    Thread 0:
    0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9000b0a8 mach_msg_trap + 8
    1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9000affc mach_msg + 60
    2 com.unsanity.ape 0xc0002afc __ape_internal + 3300
    (icplusplus.c:28)
    3 com.unsanity.ape 0xc0001910 __ape_agent + 64
    (icplusplus.c:28)
    4 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9002ba68 _pthread_body + 96
    According to NI, most users, after disabling this extension (deinstalling it) report that the crashes have stopped.

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum