• Register
  • Help

Topic: This Forum!!!!

Share/Bookmark

This Forum!!!!

This Forum has been such a blessing to me.
    I just listened to Water Fountain after not hearing it for a week or so, and as I listened I re-read the compliments posted in that thread.
    I am so blessed and honored to be given such praise, and it is the kindness of you folks here that have been so encouraging to me.

I have decided to quit using the term "cheating" when I refer to using samples to make music. Really, at the end of the day, it is either music, or noise.

Who cares if we use OSX or Windows?
    Who cares if we use Pro Tools or DP?
    Who cares if we use Altiverb or a midiverb?

WE DO, most of us.

A listener who knows nothing about sample technology could care less, but we do, and having a place to share ideas, and read and learn about how other people work with these tools is a very good thing for music. There is still so much more to learn with all this technology.

I wanted to share my sentimental thoughts about this family of friends, and what it has meant to me in the last two years. Naturally, I am more sentimental while listening to David Foster's Water Fountain, it brings back wonderful memories.

As our British friends here would say.... cheers!
    Dan Kury

Re: This Forum!!!!

Cheers Dan
    I couldnt agree more.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    As our British friends here would say.... cheers!
    Dan Kury
    When you say 'British' - do be careful with the liberal use of that word old boy.

Cheers!

Or as pirates would say, drink up me harties (or is it hearties?), yo ho!

What you say is true Dan!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thumbs up Re: This Forum!!!!

Dan, take a few midol and gets some rest. Call us in the morning.
    Couldn't agree with you more. Nope, just couldn't. Why? Cause, I couldn't that's why?
    And in the words of one crazy insane member ...

THE MAN'S NUTS ... GRAB 'EM!
    Styxx

Glad you posted this Dan, I had been in the listening room several times but had somehow missed Water Fountain. What a beautiful piece!! Outstanding and Inspirational.

When you say TBO (the big one) does that mean a 9 footer concert grand? The reason I ask is I have always wanted one, and i guess if it will fit in my laptop that is OK. I'm currently shopping for new wallpaper. http://images.google.com/images?q=steinway%209'%20concert%20grand

That Motu link for DP5 does not say how much it costs, only gives price for upgrade... i think. Do you know how much?

I'm also thankfull for this forum, for too many reasons to list, but it is certanly a blessing. I only recently discovered software instruments and the various musician stuff and I'm totally blown away by it.

Hi Leaf, thank you for your post!

I believe Digital Performer is about $500.00. If you have a different brand of digital audio workstation (DAW), you can use proof of that purchase to buy DP at an even better price. I realize most people do not have a Mac computer, but Digital Performer is an incredible bargain for what it is capable of, at least in my opinion. Heck, at the price of some DAW software, you could buy a Mac G5 computer and DP for the same price. he he

The TBO sampled piano is made by Sample Tekk. It is a Yamaha C7 (7'4")
    Garritan Libraries is coming out with an incredible Steinway Grand piano very soon and it is going to be stunning!

Thanks for listening to Water Fountain.

Dan

Cheers!

This forum is something of a second home for me, too,
    Dan. (The worn carpets and the trim that needs painting
    make me feel comfortable, I guess.)

Although I came here a year ago March or so to try to
    learn some of the technology -- it's the music that keeps
    me coming back.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi Leaf, thank you for your post!

I believe Digital Performer is about $500.00. If you have a different brand of digital audio workstation (DAW), you can use proof of that purchase to buy DP at an even better price. I realize most people do not have a Mac computer, but Digital Performer is an incredible bargain for what it is capable of, at least in my opinion. Heck, at the price of some DAW software, you could buy a Mac G5 computer and DP for the same price. he he

The TBO sampled piano is made by Sample Tekk. It is a Yamaha C7 (7'4")
    Garritan Libraries is coming out with an incredible Steinway Grand piano very soon and it is going to be stunning!

Thanks for listening to Water Fountain.

Dan
    Your welcome and thanks for the link and info. I have a mac now, which is why i don't have much money left. Actually it was not a bad deal, i got a powerbook g4 when the prices started coming down just before the intelmacs came out. It has 512 of ram but later when i can, i want to put in 2 gig.

Your right $500. is a good price, that's half of what the charge for logic pro. I couldn't afford it yet so got logic express, because it does notation, but it has a lot of limitations, i think it won't even accept other instruments libraries, unless someone here knows how to trick it. I don't know if that is one of the DAWs they will consider for trade up, but i think i may ask later, though the first thing I need is notation software, which i should have bought instead of logic express.

I am not sure if Logic Express would qualify for a DP competitive upgrade. If you are into Notation, then yes you would need a really good program, but if you want to make your midi productions sound their best, you will have to purchase a good DAW. Digital Performer does have notation capabilities, but the features for notation in DP are limited. I believe MOTU decided to not waste alot of resources, (employees time) on improving the notation features in DP, since there are a number of notation products that are already superior.

Dan

Go Back to forum