• Register
  • Help

Topic: Theatre going to waste.

Share/Bookmark

Cool Theatre going to waste.

Maybe this should be and Off Topical Ointment but I finger you people would, should, could, shed some light on or your views this subject and possibly help me to see it differently. I don't know why I would, but ... (Wow, all in one sweep!)

There is an old school in the West Seneca area that has been taken over by some soul who quite honestly can't afford to further renovate. They demolished about a third of the old school, abated all the hazardous materials up to and including asbestos. Cleaned the exterior and started renovating the interior. What is left for renovation is six large size classrooms that can awesomely used as practice, storage, costume shop, music/vocal instruction class, and choreography/dance class and prop shop. There is a decent size auditorium with a small balcony. The stage isn't that large yet would be perfect for a youth theatre, small shows and concerts. The main floor needs a floor in so much that all that is down is sub flooring. Anything and everything else pertaining to theatre would need to be renovated. There's a nice small hall leading to the main theatre area and to the balcony. A box office area is to the right of the main entrance, which was probably a receptionist area when the school was in use.
    Why do I share this with you? I don't know. Good question! No, wait come back! I can't come back I don't know how it works!
    Hemingway, My dream was always to own or run a small local theatre where inspiring children in our area and outside could come and learn the tools of the trade, acting! Also, since the advent of GPO, it would be cool to have many of you actually play in the pit orchestra or even put together concerts featuring compositions of our forum members. I feel it can be done but it would require a ton of hard work and lots of moola! Grants! Who can write Grants?!
    So, there you have it or don't have it. Which ever you find suited to you.
    I have a CD of the interior of the auditorium as it stands presently. Be that it may, it's a dream. An impossible dream.
    Just thought I would Cher.

Yeah, I know...
    Styxx

Re: Theatre going to waste.

Dreams are only impossible, if you don't believe in them. So, it's really up to you, just how imposible it is

Thank you Disney for that message.

Anyways, great idea on owning a small theater. What I recommend doing is if you somehow scrounge up the needed money (possibly through the sales of several compositions...yes I know it is hard but it can be done) is to get a small chamber orchestra to perform there. Since this site seems to progress rather quickly, I think Bi-weekly or monthly concerts would be great to keep up! That may be a little work, but it's a small auditorium so you won't have that large of an audence...

You can also try renting the theater out to different bands and etc. for them to perform their concerts in.

Either way, you are lucky. You would get to work with that auditorium while I am stuck working with this...
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Dreams are only impossible, if you don't believe in them. So, it's really up to you, just how imposible it is
    "What is this thing that builds our dreams yet slips away from us?" Freddie Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    Thank you Disney for that message.

Anyways, great idea on owning a small theater. What I recommend doing is if you somehow scrounge up the needed money (possibly through the sales of several compositions...yes I know it is hard but it can be done) is to get a small chamber orchestra to perform there. Since this site seems to progress rather quickly, I think Bi-weekly or monthly concerts would be great to keep up! That may be a little work, but it's a small auditorium so you won't have that large of an audence...

You can also try renting the theater out to different bands and etc. for them to perform their concerts in.

Either way, you are lucky. You would get to work with that auditorium while I am stuck working with this...
    Thanks, Suddenly I feel like I just sat on something sharp! Wow, you ****man! I would give my left ***to have the chance!
    Styxx

All I do is just sound and lights. That's just my school's auditorium, in desperate need of upgrades. Our sound and light systems have not changed since 1984...

If you could afford an auditorium, make it kind of a studio style. That way, you can add in extra effects when needed like the ability to fly stuff over the crowd during musicals (Little Shop of Horrors comes to mind...). This would also allow for better lighting of the stage.
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Well, I sure would pursue the matter. If you can find a way to make it work, think of how grand that would be. But if you don't try, you may regret it forever. It would help if you had some enthusiasm from Wifey!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    "What is this thing that builds our dreams yet slips away from us?" Freddie Mercury
    Too much time on your hands! Don't worry, it'll pass.

I say, go for your dream, if there is any possible way you can.

My favorite quote (Søren Kierkegaard):

To dare is to lose your foothold for awhile, not to dare is to lose yourself forever

It would take a big grant to get the place in shape for use but the potential is there to have a nice threatre. First, I would have to find some way to get it out of the hands of the present owner. This person (supposedly a developer) is trying to make it into an office building. Like there aren’t enough vacant office buildings downtown to go around? So, step one would be to get rid of this looser but only after the much needed funds and plans are secured for the renovation.
    The reason why I say it's a dream is because Buffalo and its townships have neither insight nor desire to take on a project such as this one. If it were a sports arena you would be damn sure they would help in some way. Heck, the town of West Seneca spent some millions on a Soccer field that is flooded 75% of the season! Go figure.
    I'm probably telling you something you already know. Most cities and towns spend the majority of the resources on sports than the arts.
    Styxx

The only arts most cities support are statues (trophies), graphic art, field art (field lines...), and modern rock/heavy metal music. Luckily, Pittsburgh here has a small culture district that is made mainly out of theaters such as Benedum, Bylaw, and the famous Heinz Hall.
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Go Back to forum