• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Out of tune

Share/Bookmark

Out of tune

I'm getting frustrated with out of tune samples in the winds. The random tuning knob is set at zero. Why are these instruments still blowing notes out of tune?

Re: Out of tune

Which instruments and which notes? This will help fix any issues for future updates.

Jim

I'm not going to waste my time with that, but Tenor Sax 1 and Tenor Sax 4 are especially bad, Alto 2 has some bad ones. The tuba seems to be quite bad too. Ironically, the five trumpets seem really well in tune with each other, and that never happens in real life.

Play a long chromatic scale with trumpet 1, alto 1, alto 2, tenor 1, tenor 4 and tuba, and it sounds like a junior high school band!

R.

See if your VAR control setting is adjusted to far. VAR introduces tuning variations and if it is set too high it will go out of tune. Also check the event list in your sequencer to make sure there's no cc#22 (or pitch wheel) data being introduced in the chage that would affect pitch.

Gary Garritan

Each sample in JABB - and I mean each - has been tuned with precision and outmost care.
    The only criticism I have heard occasionaly, is that the tuning is too tight.
    That one, I might accept.

Jeannot Welter.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    See if your VAR control setting is adjusted to far. VAR introduces tuning variations and if it is set too high it will go out of tune. Also check the event list in your sequencer to make sure there's no cc#22 (or pitch wheel) data being introduced in the chage that would affect pitch.

Gary Garritan
    tuning VAR is set to 0. There are no cc22's. Actually, the only cc's are modulation - CC1 for which there is a single event with a value of 127 at the start of the line. Here is a clip of trumpet 1 and tenor 1 playing the same line.

http://www.richiebee.ca/tuningtest.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler
    tuning VAR is set to 0. There are no cc22's. Actually, the only cc's are modulation - CC1 for which there is a single event with a value of 127 at the start of the line. Here is a clip of trumpet 1 and tenor 1 playing the same line.

http://www.richiebee.ca/tuningtest.mp3
    Some instruments have loose tuning. There are four different tenor saxes to choose from and there is a choice between tight and loose tuned instruments. I'll ask Tom to address this further.

Gary Garritan

Gary just brought this thread to my attention. You can blame me. I purposely(!) kept a few instruments with loose tuning. Why? Because I got considerably more natural-sounding results (quickly,) while I was preparing the initial demos, when the tuning was not perfectly tightened for certain primary instruments. The next update (which will probably coincide with the release of the K2 player) will tighten the tuning of those instruments because scripting will then be able to step in and contribute the essential intonational discrepancies based on logical conditions. Only these select few instruments in the library were not carefully tuned (actually, they were carefully left loosely tuned) and I chose the particular instruments as I worked with the demos. They were always meant to be an interim step prior to the advent of scripting. I found that it was a time saver in most situations instead of my needing to go in and manually de-tune each note as needed. Granted, such settings are not situational but I still found that they significantly sped up the demo process and yielded more natural results. Scripting opens the door to better control of the necessary tuning disparities so it will be advantageous to have a neutral starting point from which the scripts can work. The time-saving (for me anyway) tuning inaccuracies of the present select instruments will no longer be helpful at that time. Until then, I would suggest choosing from the instruments that are tightly tuned if you have difficulties with the loose tuning and/or you'd rather not apply counteractive pitchbend when desired.

Tom

P.S. If this had been my own personal library, rather than a commercial product, I would have left all instruments in the library loosely tuned until scripting became available. As it is, while creating the big band demos I had to draw in a considerable amount of "de-tuning" data for each of the tightly-tuned instruments. Only when steps like this were taken did things begin to come to life. Scripting should eventually remove much of this drudgery. At least that's the plan.

Which instruments has a loose tuning?

/Mats

I thought that was the whole point of the VAR control.

Either way, making the primary instrument (eg, Tenor 1) with the loose tuning seems a bit weird to me. If it was tenor 3, it might make more sense.

Tenor 1 has a fantastic sound in my opinion - better than the others for most of the stuff I do. It's really spoilt by this loose tuning.

Thanks for the clarification though. Glad I wasn't going mad!

Rich

Go Back to forum