• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Items bought in haste ... regretted at leisure

Share/Bookmark

Items bought in haste ... regretted at leisure

Forgive me for I have sinned against my wallet ...

I've bought a few items over the last few years which I have bought on a whim, or without doing my homework, or because I've just got caught up in group-buy hysteria. Some of them are just not right for the way I work, some of them are poor quality and some I just don't bloody need and will never need.

Some of them might surprise you .. becuase of themselves some are great products.

1. M-Audio Trigger Finger ... it got such great reviews in the music mags ... ahh who can you trust these days?
    2. Yellow Tools Culture ... greats sounds, but I just never use it, and the percussion in my orchestral libraries covers most bases.
    3. EWQL Symphonic Choirs ... I had money burning a hole in my pocket and didn't have the patience to wait for Gold XP, which forced me to wait another year to buy XP.
    4. Harbal ... why?
    5. Alta Vista Virtual Grand Piano ... I don't need another piano library
    6. Novation Remote 49 ... the combined mod wheel feels cheap and nasty, and the touch pad isn't an electrostatic device, its a "pressure" pad which you have to press quite hard.

Just to be balanced here what I still treasure;
    1. Gold and Gold Xp
    2. Tracktion (especially Final Mix)
    3. Art Vista Maljsmo Grand
    4. Line 6 Variax Accoustic (POD XT Live)
    5. Beyerdynamic DT7500 headphones
    6. Samual Adler's book and CDs
    + lots more, but I won't bore you

So what are everyone else worst (& best) purchases?
    www.naxosradio.com
    VSL Symphonic Cube, PLAY Gold, Project SAM, Altiverb, US2400, Cubase 4

Re: Items bought in haste ... regretted at leisure

In the software area, I haven't purchased much things. I own Garritan Personal Orchestra, Kirk Hunter SO Emerald, ProjectSAM brass and percussion, Cubase SL 3 and some VST plugs. I use a lot of free VST FX's and VSTi's (the Crystal synth is a joy!, and Kajerhus classic series too). I also bought the 3 DVD's of percussion samples that Doru Malaia had on his webpage for 30 USD each (for anyone who doesn't know, he passed away )

Hardware... I have the basics: and AMD 64 3000+ with 2GB of RAM, 560 GB of harddisk (2 of those in a 400 GB RAID 0 setup for samples), a EMU 1820m audio interface, a Behringer BCR 2000 control surface, a 49 keys Roland MIDI keyboard (very basic one), and a pair of TAPCO S*5 nearfields. I want to replace my MIDI keyboard with a CME UF8, and my monitors with a pair of the gorgeous Event ASP 8.

I'm sometimes a compulsive buyer, but, as I don't have too much money, I have to calm down and buy only what I think I need. I would love to buy lots of sample libraries, lots of MIDI gear, lots of VST's and lots of everything related with music and technology, but then, reallity strikes, and I realize I haven't got any penny.

My best purchase, maybe the EMU interface, I'm in love with it (in the beginning, there was some driver issues, but now it's rock-solid and pristine sounding)

My worst...
    Once I bought a HP PDA for €500, and I sold it the next month, because of my guilty conscience (I didn't really need it, it was only a caprice).

My current MIDI Keyborad is a sh*t, the modulation control is the worst thing I've never seen (Roland ED PC 180A) is like a on-off button .
    So, I really understand you.

Regards
    -Dani-

yes "compulsive" is the word. Currently I'm feeling "compulsive" about;

- altiverb for windows ... urge is passing slowly. Thank god they didn't release it on time.
    - kore ... urge is rapidly dwindling
    - perhaps another Vienna Instrument, WWI or Brass II.

though I can barely afford any of them. ~~~~, I think its time I sought professional help.

Or perhaps I should start a self-help "Don't Group Buy". This month we're collectively not going to buy XXXX. If we get upto 50+ users not buying XXXX we'll .... erm ... erm feel good about ourselves and erm ... erm .... the concepts not going to fly is it ?
    www.naxosradio.com
    VSL Symphonic Cube, PLAY Gold, Project SAM, Altiverb, US2400, Cubase 4

GS3. I built a PC for it. Surely on a dedicated one-task machine Windows won't give me trouble, right? What could go wrong? D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by amyhughes
    GS3. I built a PC for it. Surely on a dedicated one-task machine Windows won't give me trouble, right? What could go wrong? D'oh!

That is sooooo true. I have a dell PC just running GS3 along with my mac g5 which runs EVERYTHING under the sun. Guess which one crashes all the time.....

Peace

rikp

The last time I listened to a magazine review, I bought Lounge Lizard (Rhodes emulation software) . So much for magazine reviews....

Quote Originally Posted by rikp
    That is sooooo true. I have a dell PC just running GS3 along with my mac g5 which runs EVERYTHING under the sun. Guess which one crashes all the time.....

Peace

rikp
    Sorry guys but if you have a dedicated pc running just GS3 and it's crashing a lot then there's something wrong with your pc setup. After the 3.04 update GS3 became one of the most stable programs out there.

Does your Dell pc still have all of the Dell bloatware installed? Also what soundcard are you using?

my worst two software purchases, that I kick myself for ever buying are:

1) a program that translates from one sampler format to another, not chickensys one the other one...... I definitely should have bought translator pro...... more features, way better support (mine I get the impression the programmer responds when he is in the mood) :-)

2) my first piano sample library, not because it is bad... but on my machine I have such a hard time getting good polyphony on it........it may very well be my machine and K2......... not the library,.........so I use black grand, TBO, and vintaudio stuff which I get so much mileage from on my computer......although I still love the sound of this first one, I just wish I hadn't bought it.....maybe when I upgrade I will have love for it again....

but my all time worst music purchase was an ART reverb, that I dont' even remember the name, to me it was so horrible, I gave it away and haven't been able to even look at any ART product since.

rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Buchan
    yes "compulsive" is the word. Currently I'm feeling "compulsive" about;

- altiverb for windows ... urge is passing slowly. Thank god they didn't release it on time.
    - kore ... urge is rapidly dwindling
    - perhaps another Vienna Instrument, WWI or Brass II.

though I can barely afford any of them. ~~~~, I think its time I sought professional help.

Or perhaps I should start a self-help "Don't Group Buy". This month we're collectively not going to buy XXXX. If we get upto 50+ users not buying XXXX we'll .... erm ... erm feel good about ourselves and erm ... erm .... the concepts not going to fly is it ?
    We could call it SWA ( sample whores annonomous )

Hi my name is Steve and I'm a sample slut!<G>

You all have made me feel so good. I thought I was the only one..Need to call my wife in to read all these posts. Maybe she will finally understand. But all honesty, I dont think so..

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast