• Register
  • Help

Topic: Let's try this again, shall we?

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Let's try this again, shall we?

A Work In Progress (probably would be better off under a rock somewhere right about now) How embarrasskins!
    Hi all!
    I don't get much time to post my work and usually don't have the means. However, I do have a Power User page now and I just posted a waltz I have been struggling with. Maybe some feed back from the people I respect and admire the most could help stimulate better writing.
    Please, if you would, click on my avatar and visit my power user page. Listed in player play list "No Title Yet”. Had several titles but none that seem to fit quite right.
    Any questions, comments, concerns and criticisms welcome.
    Thanks.

Oops, I should at least list what instruments I used. Simple, All GPO and JABB Accordion. Would love to add chorus but I guess ya can't have everything.
    Styxx

Re: Let's try this again, shall we?

Styxx buddy 'ol pal, this is a beautiful piece! It's just wonderful! I have no suggestions to make it any better, (except to finish it!) it's spendid! I LOVE IT!!!

Great work, Michael!

..well, worth the wait.

Listening a few times now...Kind of sad, or perhaps poignant.
    The tonal feel and accordion evokes images of a Gypsy gathering.

It might be interesting to hear this with a slow intro at the beginning ... to set the mood, before your motif.?

just a thought..

Nice work!... (my kind of harmonic structure)

~Jeff

Styxx buddy 'ol pal, this is a beautiful piece! It's just wonderful! I have no suggestions to make it any better, (except to finish it!) it's spendid! I LOVE IT!!!
    Wow, coming from such an excellent composer, I don't know what to say! Well, yes I do ... thanks so much.

It might be interesting to hear this with a slow intro at the beginning ... to set the mood, before your motif.?

just a thought..
    You know, that's awesome! I was just thinking of something on the same line this morning. Wow, I thank you very much for the nice reply.
    Styxx

Styxx,

that's really nice!

Struggled a bit to come up with anything to add, but for my money just a teensy bit more of a sense of the room that your players are in would be nice - not a huge hall, just something to hang a tiny bit on the breaks and to give sense of the 'front to back panning' who's close and who isn't.
    And the rhythm is quite relentless which of course works well, stops it being sentimental, but if you were conducting it you might push the tempo slightly into the middle of a phrase and then back a little in the second half. Might be fun to to try playing a tiny bit with the tempo.
    But in any case it works really well as it is!

regards

Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by BarrieB
    Styxx,

that's really nice!

Struggled a bit to come up with anything to add, but for my money just a teensy bit more of a sense of the room that your players are in would be nice - not a huge hall, just something to hang a tiny bit on the breaks and to give sense of the 'front to back panning' who's close and who isn't.
    And the rhythm is quite relentless which of course works well, stops it being sentimental, but if you were conducting it you might push the tempo slightly into the middle of a phrase and then back a little in the second half. Might be fun to to try playing a tiny bit with the tempo.
    But in any case it works really well as it is!

regards

Barrie
    Barrie, excellent suggestions! This demo has no reverb or effects on it as it stands. I wanted to wait until I was completely satisfied and finished with the composition. I have been working it with Cubase and Finale 6 as well as Overture 4. Sounds redundant don’t it? Out of the notational software I am trying to see which I like best.
    Thanks so much for the great constructive suggestions!
    Styxx

Mike,
    Nice work!

Elegant springs to mind, and i agree with the comment about the tempo effectively cancelling out any degree of sentimentality.
    When the accordian comes in, i wonder if it's worth thinning the orchestration behind it just a little, and then adding gradually to finish the piece.
    This piece is a pretty smart ad for GPO as well. Nice tone, and well handled, without sounding synthetic.

Well done,

Alex.

WOW! The accordian fits very well.
    It sounds like you are having alot of fun with the Strad.
    Good for you!!!!
    Dan

I loved this when I heard it previously (chat), Mike --
    it's coming along great.

I'm not much of a wizard on rendering as you know; but
    I might suggest a little sweeter, slightly more reverberitive sound
    to the mix -- with no idea how you do that, of course... lol.

But the music, the writing -- this is aces, Mike, good balance,
    strong material, compelling and interesting.

Fine work!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59
    Mike,
    Nice work!
    When the accordian comes in, i wonder if it's worth thinning the orchestration behind it just a little, and then adding gradually to finish the piece.
    This piece is a pretty smart ad for GPO as well. Nice tone, and well handled, without sounding synthetic.

Well done,

Alex.
    I totally hear what Alex is saying about the accordion, but I liked the fact that it's a really interesting additional texture rather than 'solo', it's a choice thing, but that's what writing music is all about, right from deciding to write a piece in the first place or not!

Yo! Respec'!

Baz

Go Back to forum