• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gigastudio, Pulsar and Cubase VST

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio, Pulsar and Cubase VST

Hi all Giga Users,

im in troubles since it\'s come for me the moment to upgrage my system to a more serious sound card than my two old SoundBlaster Awe 64.
    My home system should works this way: gigastudio is my software sampler, and the soundcard should be able to route giga out to cubase inputs while recording my live performance. i dont plan to use digital in/out and stuff like that at the moment, but since im buying it now, it would be good if the soundcard could allow future expansions.
    I thought to a second hand Pulsar card a friend of mine would sell me, its internal mixer looks really powerful and impressive, but i have read somewhere of some Gigastudio and cubase problem afflicting this card. Can someone comfirm this ? Or can someone give me any suggestion concerning another card (echo? dsp factory?).Giga Gsif compatibility is my main worry.

Thanks in advance for your precious help,

Regards
    IsozzII

Re: Gigastudio, Pulsar and Cubase VST

A lot depends on what you want to spend and what you want the card to do.

The new Pulsar drivers have a good GSIF with them, and the DSP and synths look very impressive.

The other card with good GSIF, a great mixer, built in DSP Fx, the ability to load external plugins and expansion options is the Mixtreme from Soundcape Digital.
    http://soundscape-digital.com/Products/Mixtreme/Intro/

Lots of people are having problems running their sequencer with Giga, but I don\'t think this is necessarily a soundcard issue.

Right now I have a PC with Pulsar 2 and Logic 4.5 which won\'t install Giga properly, but I\'m sure it\'ll be sorted in the next few days. It seems every system and install procedure is different and requires different solutions when things go awry.

As far as I know, most people have been able to get Giga and either Logic, Cubase or Cakewalk running together, one way or another.

Personally, I am now looking forward as much to the synths and modulars in Pulsar as I am to the endless wave sampling in Giga!

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Chadwick (edited 09-01-2000).]

Gigastudio, Pulsar and Cubase VST are good combination! It would works, that\'s all you need (flexibilities)...Make sure you meet their sytem requirements.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Isozz II:
    Hi all Giga Users,

im in troubles since it\'s come for me the moment to upgrage my system to a more serious sound card than my two old SoundBlaster Awe 64.
    My home system should works this way: gigastudio is my software sampler, and the soundcard should be able to route giga out to cubase inputs while recording my live performance. i dont plan to use digital in/out and stuff like that at the moment, but since im buying it now, it would be good if the soundcard could allow future expansions.
    I thought to a second hand Pulsar card a friend of mine would sell me, its internal mixer looks really powerful and impressive, but i have read somewhere of some Gigastudio and cubase problem afflicting this card. Can someone comfirm this ? Or can someone give me any suggestion concerning another card (echo? dsp factory?).Giga Gsif compatibility is my main worry.

Thanks in advance for your precious help,

Regards
    IsozzII
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi all,

After some hanging around at this site I finally made the decision to sell my DSP factory and go for a Pulsar 2.01. I have Gigastudio running and VST5.
    I read on this board that this combination should work.

I\'ve got a Celeron 600@900, 256 Mb ram, seperate 10000rpm SCSI driver for gigastudio and a similar drive for audiorecording.

Still I can\'t get the combination to work without problems. I think I performed all the standard audio optimizing actions. Still I get cracks/pops when using gigastudio and HD recording at the same time.

Any suggestions?

thanks for the help,

Jelle Bloemsma
    The Netherlands

MarQueeze,

Are you keeping your Gigastudio sound files (gigs) on the audio drive? I only keep the actual programmes on the first drive, with gigs on the audio drive.

I can\'t actually get Logic AUDIO to run on my PIII800 (256mb ram and 2 drives) with Gigastudio. I\'ve had to demote it to midi sequencing only

If I have the Logic audio drivers (ASIO) enabled, after a few Giga tracks I get ASIO error messages, and Giga starts to get really sloppy as I get over the 120 note poly mark.

I tried running Giga from Logic on another machine and it was fine - but I\'m not about to go out and buy another PC, another audio card, and another midi card just so that I can get full polyphony.

I\'m not saying this is the same problem as yours, just that the audio part of Logic, and Giga audio were too much for my PC to handle at one time.

If anyone\'s got these two running on the same machine with loow latency, full poly on Giga and zero error messages on Logic, I\'d liuke to hear from them.

Hi Chadwick,

Thanks for the response. Yes I\'ve got the gig files and audio files on seperate drives.
    My windows installation (windows Millennium) and programs are on a normal IDE drive.

I\'ve played around a bit with the Pulsar ULLI settings. It seems that the lower the latency settings the more cracks/pops I get (cracks/pops are in the audio tracks streaming from my HD).

When I use the highest latency settings (25ms) I still get occasional hickups.

The strange thing is that when I look at my the system resources that are being eaten up it only shows that only 25% of my processing power is eaten up (by 4 tracks of audio and a simple 5 voice piano chord progression) .

Tried to play with the buffer and blocksize settings too in the VST audio system panel but it seems these settings have NO effect at all.

Jelle Bloemsma
    The Netherlands

Sadly, as I said, the store tech has thrown up his hands and told me I can run Giga, Pulsar 2.01 and Logic midi, but I can\'t run the audio tracks side of Logic.

Damn! I was looking forward to the Prophet 52 and B4.

Well that\'s what I\'d like to do too!
    The B4 plugin is really amazing.

Maybe I shoudn\'t sell my EMU E6400 just yet... OR get a separate PC for Gigastudio.

Separate PC for Gigastudio seems to be the answer nagging in the back of my mind at the moment

I\'m experiencing midi delays into Logic from either Gigastudio or Pulsar synths with very low polyphony requirements (50-60 notes), no DSP stuff, no audio tracks and only 11 midi tracks.

As a consequence I\'m beginning to wonder about the quality of the Pulsar GSIF....

Any comments?

Go Back to forum