• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sound purists, please help

Share/Bookmark

Question Sound purists, please help

I've been spending a lot of time with two seconds of music on what I thought would be a simple beginner's exercise.

I have a very short mp3 with a few bars of Strauss's Zarathustra (violins and violas) and there is one single bar that I've been trying to replicate with GPO (or Synful). I have the midi file for that bar, which corresponds to seconds 0:08 - 0:10 in the mp3.

I was able to get a sound quite realistic on its own, using several solo strings for each of the staves and changing CC7 (main volume) and note lengths for each player. However, when compared to the mp3, it's not there yet. Does anyone have some time to listen to those two seconds and let me know if it's even possible to get a sound similar to the recording? I could really use some peace of mind and know if it's either my lack of knowledge or if it's simply impossible.

Thanks a lot

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/Nick/Strauss.MID

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/Nick/Strauss.mp3

Re: Sound purists, please help

Please, please, could anyone let me know if GPO (or other technology) can achieve the sound heard in those two seconds of recording I would appreciate some input, anything... There is absolutely no other way for me to find out. My own experiments weren't successful, but then my knowledge is limited. Thanks

I did not respond yesterday because I don't want others to think that I think I am the sound purist god.

Yes that type of sound is achievable you will need a library like GOS for those specific articulations. What you are hearing is a constant slight fluctuation of pitch within those notes. This is the most time consuming thing with creating real sound with samples, because that life has to be created with the critcal use of tools at our disposal, along with the samples.

This is my opinion and did not want to come off as mister goodie two shoes.

I responded today because nobody else answered your question, and I don't like to see people's posts not answered in a reasonable amount of time.

Dan

I really appreciate your answer, Dan. I don't know if you're a sound guru, but if you are I'm happy you overcame your modesty

Unfortunately, some of the GOS links on www.garritan.com/libraries.html don't work, but at least I know what to start looking for. I see I would also need GigaStudio.

You're right, there is a certain change in pich in those notes. I also have the feeling that the sound of those strings is somehow ... I don't know, organic, rich, full and gentle. I can sort of feel them in my stomach, not only hear them in my ears; and I mean just those two seconds. I don't know if I make sense, but it's a beautiful sound and I would love to be able to recreate it.

Quote Originally Posted by aro
    it's a beautiful sound and I would love to be able to recreate it.
    Hi aro, here is something to ease the pain of trying everything we know to duplicate something we hear.

I have come to the realization, that it is not important to exactly duplicate a specific sound or phrase in a piece of music with samples, because it is very hard to do, not for the faint of heart anyway

Just use your best judgement, you have great ears to hear what I too hear in that section. Manipulate the samples with as much gusto as you can muster up, and try to be satisfied with the fact that at the end, it won't sound exactly like it, but it will sound beautiful.

Dan

I have come to the realization, that it is not important to exactly duplicate a specific sound or phrase in a piece of music with samples, because it is very hard to do, not for the faint of heart anyway
    Thanks again, Dan. You're right.
    In fact the perfect solution would be to pick up the violin, play that part (if I'm able to do a good job) and record it. This should make me happy.

Go Back to forum