• Register
  • Help

Topic: graphics card for 30" monitor

Question graphics card for 30" monitor

Hi, can anyone recommend a (preferably silent) WQXGA capable card?
    ie 2560 x 1600 dual-link DVI-D
    for use with the Dell 30" TFT.
    I've seen the NVidia Quadro FX range but they look like they could be pretty noisy - can anyone confirm / deny this?

Thanks for any help.

Re: graphics card for 30" monitor

I'm using an ATI Radeon 9650 on my main G5 for the Apple 30" display, and it makes no noise. The specs are terrible from a gaming point of view, but in reality it works really well for my uses (everything but games, in other words).

Unfortunately, I had to order a second card (9600 Pro Mac and PC version) for my slave G5, since the standard card won't even drive the monitor at a lower resolution. That card is arriving tomorrow, and I'll post how it works. I doubt it's noisy, and it's $200 minus rebate rather than $400+ for the ones with the good benchmarks.

One thing to be aware of is that you can't extend the cable length without using a $300+ Gefen active repeater cable. Instead, I ended up buying their 2 x dual-link DVI KVM box, since it wasn't much more and most of the money is gone anyway; I need to put the monitor more than 6' away from the computer.

Re: graphics card for 30" monitor

So it turns out the 9600 Pro is the same card as the 9650, which is simply an OEM card for Apple. It has no fan, so it makes no noise.

Thumbs up Re: graphics card for 30" monitor

That's very useful info - I will definitely check out the 9600 Pro, sounds like it should do the job.
    Many thanks.

Go Back to forum