• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Wave of the Future

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up The Wave of the Future

I've been playing around with the demo of Notion 1.5 for a week now and have decided to order it because I find it to be a really great notation/composition program. Perhaps it's not in the league of Sibelius or Finale regarding its output and myriad of features, but I really do like the fact that if I put a staccato marking above a violin part, I hear the staccato rather than spending time searching for a good staccato patch from one of my many orchestral libraries.

does this mean I'm going to trash EWQLSO, VSL, Miroslav, Project SAM and the rest of my libs? Well, no. I'll keep using them for times when I need ultra realistic mock-ups. But I think I'll be doing the bulk of my composing on Notion because it's technology is so transparent. It doesn't get in the way of working out and developing ideas quickly.

At this point, Notion doesn't have realtime audition nor the ability to compose in a C concert pitch conductor's score or else switch between that and the transposed score. At first I hated that. But the more I played with the program, the more my old music skills came back. So I have to tranpose up a 5th when writing for F horns or a 2nd up for Bb clarinets or trumpets. Heck, I used to do the same thing when I was in composition class with paper and pencil. and even then, I couldn't hit a button and print all of the parts out.

Using Notion made me aware of how out of touch I'd gotten from music theory. Now, I'm not trying to preach to everyone. Notating music is a slower more painstaking process. I understand that modern film composers or guys doing jingles just don't have the luxury of time to fiddle with programs like this. Heck, I'd turn to Sonar or Overture with EWQLSO for a project if I needed to bang out something quickly.

But I do like Notion's streamlined, sensibile interface as far as concert composing is concerned.

Does anyone have this full program? what do they think? I simply love being able to add any coloristic ornament by simply putting the marking above the note. Bloody brilliant! And Notion has expansion packs (pretty reasonably priced) that add sounds and articulations to its sample base. I think they re-recorded some instruments that initial users found less than adequate.

Re: The Wave of the Future

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    Notating music is a slower more painstaking process. I understand that modern film composers or guys doing jingles just don't have the luxury of time to fiddle with programs like this. Heck, I'd turn to Sonar or Overture with EWQLSO for a project if I needed to bang out something quickly.
    HAHA! That was too funny! I can write about 5x faster with pen and paper when I don't have to worry about programming and all that (but then again I still do everything by hand, not using a MIDI controller although I have one). I actually wish that I could use a streamlined notation program MADE for film composers that would actually have all the programming done for me...with the exception of minor tweaks and stuff of course. Notion looked like it was going in this direction but I got really bummed when I heard the demos.

I really think that this program integrated with a Piano Roll function and all the bells and whistles that a program like SONAR will give you (composition wise) would be the ideal, but that is, after all idealistic and probably won't happen for a good 20 years (given the fact that as far as I know, there has been NO attempt to improve the notation in SONAR since Cakewalk Pro Audio). Oh well, but since you dig it I'll check it out. Thanks man,

James
    "PRODUCER TO ARTIST: I don't care if that grace note on the snare hit in bar 9085 works! This is dub 'n bass acid house penis, not ~~~~ing house dub 'n acid bass penis with a twist!" - Nick Batzdorf

Whilst I like the idea of a program that reads the articulations, I think that Notion is too limited in all it's functions for it to be usable for me. What I would really like is to be able to use a Sibelius "plug-in" within Nuendo, as that would save all that transferring of MIDI files.

However, I do like the idea of a program that can translate articulations into samples, but there would still need to be easy access to controller data (something that Sibelius and Finale both lack) and ability to add keyswitches to override any articulation choosing that was inappropriate.

D

I honestly think that this program is going to be a monster in a couple years. Right now it's fully functional IMO as a composition and sketch pad utility. Sonically it doesn't compare to the bigger libraries but they keep adding new instruments and articulations.

And the program doesn't just switch articulations but also changes according to phrasing, dynamics, etc. Dynamics actually change the timbre of the sample in many cases too.

I'm beginning to write pretty quickly using this program personally speaking. And I really like the fact that I can double stuff in unison or at the octave with the copy paste function.

I do envision samples to be better in a couple generations on this program. As it stands, the existing samples ARE much better than GM sounds from a sound card. You don't get trills, sfz, sul pont. etc. from GM sounds.

I checked out NOTION at NAMM in Indianapolis last summer. I like the concept, and the interface and program looked very nice. BUT... I am not sure if I would have trouble when I wanted to take waht I'd scored in Notion and then do a mockup in my DAW with my other libs. I use Finale with outputs to Kontakt where I have my templates. That way, I can start doing keyswitch and articulation changes in the score which will translate exactly when I get to DP for final MIDI tweaking and mixing. I also use human playback as a start for volume/controller curves (Change all CC7 to CC 11 in DP for EWSO samples).

I'll be interested to know how things work going from Notion files to DAWs for final mixing. Keep us posted!

DS
    Damon Sink
    G5 Dual 2 GHz, P4 3.8GHz, Logic Pro 7, Digital Performer, EWQLSO Platinum Pro XP, VSL, Kontakt2, Finale

you've got it!

I too found the program interesting, but the sounds left me flat (IMHO). But I hope that they continue to develop it more, because the program shows great promise.

Peace

rikp

Quote Originally Posted by rikp
    I too found the program interesting, but the sounds left me flat (IMHO). But I hope that they continue to develop it more, because the program shows great promise.

Peace

rikp
    I think it shows definite promise. Would I use it for a finished product at this stage? Nope. I'll still use EWQLSO and VSL but I do think the composition is far better using this program over other notation programs or sequencers. Just my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    I think it shows definite promise. Would I use it for a finished product at this stage? Nope. I'll still use EWQLSO and VSL but I do think the composition is far better using this program over other notation programs or sequencers. Just my opinion of course.
    You see this is exactly my problem with Notion. It doesn't do anything as well as my current tools. I think that there will always be a tangible limit to the playback because it needs it's own sounds, and thereby resides the limitation, as the resources required to produce an orchestral sample library are huge and producing a top quality notation program is not cheap either. I've resigned myself to using both sequencer and notation program for the foreseeable future.

Of course if the notational aspects become as good as Sibelius and they come out with some sort of plug-in that would translate all the articulations into my Vienna VI sounds, then I would certainly be interested, but whilst they are producing their own sounds it ain't gonna happen.

D

I think I´ve heard of some guy who made a good sibelius plug for the VSL. But he didnt want to give it to the public.

Am I wrong? I think I read it somewhere on the vsl forum.

/Johnny

Go Back to forum