• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: monitor recommendations?

Share/Bookmark

monitor recommendations?

This may not be the right forum for this question, but it seemed closest --

Anyway, right now I\'m just using a pair of medium-quality headphones to monitor my music, and I\'d like to get something better. What do you folks use? What would you recommend? I\'d be interested in knowing what people think is the best value for the money, as well as what you\'d get if price were no object. (I like to have something to shoot for!)

Thanks,
    Bill

Re: monitor recommendations?

I use a pair of Mackie HR824 reference monitors which I really like. They sound pretty close to Genelec 1031a which is THE standard (apart from Yamaha NS10 who sound like crap - but are still reference ). You should really get a pair of monitors like these - they will make you hear details you never knew were there, and therefore also makes it easier to spot problems in your recordings/mixings.

Simon

Thanks, Simon!

Wow, quite a price difference between Mackie and Yamaha. Sorry to hear that the Yamaha sounds like crap! Is it really *that* bad? I was tempted to get it, based on price and the few user reviews I\'d seen....

How about the Roland DS90-A monitors with digital-input optional, of course they have the balance analog inputs as well. I\'m also having the Mackie HR824 reference monitors. I like the Mackie!

Event 20/20\'s. The monitors, of course, are only part of the equation. You need a high quality power amp to drive them.

Lawrence

I use to use the alesis point 7\'s, but the low end suffered and I wound up overcompensating on my mixes. I later bought the alesis M1 (active) and have been very pleased with these. I think you should reconsider the yamaha ns10\'s. They are an eyesore and sound harsh at first, but the do help you notice more subtleties in your mixes. IMHO.

Stephen

there is another school of thought, monitering on consumer speakers. If your mixes sound like other well recorded CD\'s / albums you probably are in the ballpark of a good balanced mix. The key to any moniter speaker is being on a first name basis with it. You must know how it sounds by listening to it so much that a good sound is just ingrained. Some speakers just get you tired listening to them for any length of time, your ears dont stay fresh for very long, those are the ones to stay away from. For a decent cheapy consumer speaker, check out the Sony MB215 at a local Best Buy, they are $90 a pair, and have fantastic imaging (even in mono). these suggestions may narrow the field but you still have to listen to a speaker before you buy it, try to use the same source material (a favorite CD you know backwards) and the same electronics, so that you are just A/B-ing the speakers themselves. Remember to keep the loudness the same, as your ear will trick you into thinking the louder speaker sounds better. Good luck on your quest for the holy grail . . . .

I finally had a chance to hear some of these monitors this weekend. I listened to Yamaha NS10, a couple of other Yamahas, Event 2020BAS, the Mackie, and a pair of Hafler TRM8\'s. I didn\'t care for the sound of the Yamahas at all - they all sounded muddy and spikey to me. The Mackie sounded awesome, but it\'s out of my price range for now. Similarly the Hafler - it sounded wonderful, maybe even better than the Mackie, but it\'s in the same price range so I didn\'t do a careful comparison. The Event 2020s sounded very clean, so that\'s what I\'m going with. We\'ll see how they work out.

Thanks again to everyone who wrote!

Bill

Don\'t you think that the concept that you must have flat response speakers for a studio is largely advertizers hype?
    If you look at a frequency curve on all the different flat response speakers brands they all have a different response.Although they tend to be flatter over all than Hi fi stereo grade speakers. But if your used to one brand and then you go to another studio and use another brand your lost.
    It seems to me if we wanted to stop being lead around in a circle by advertizers and we wanted to standardize this thing .And save money at the same time .Here\'s the alternative.
    Starting with the monitoring system,
    you start with a power amp or like in my case a hi fi stereo reciever that has a source direct switch on it [it bypasses the EQ for a flat response from your amp].
    Then get some good quality hi fi speakers[you get a better price/performance ratio on the used market I bought some $550 DLK\'s and paid $95 for them].
    Now for flat response from your speakers I bought a used 20 band EQ with a built in spectrum analizer ,white noise generator and mic[I paid $50 ,there are a ton of them out there on the used market].
    Then I sent the pink noise generated signal out the speakers and had the mic were my ears are when Im mixing.
    And adjusted the EQ so the speakers were flat response .

There\'s also the very valid school of thought mentioned by Doc.
    In both cases there doesn\'t seem to be the need to spend the big bucks on studio monitors.

Go Back to forum