• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Important Fix #2: Notation instruments folder blocked if Finale not installed.

Share/Bookmark

Important Fix #2: Notation instruments folder blocked if Finale not installed.

Apparently, the installer will refuse to install the "9. Notation" folder if a copy of Finale is not installed on the user's system. This was not intended. The "9. Notation" folder can be downloaded here: www.garritan.com/GPO_Files/9.Notation.zip

Download the above file to a convenient location on your hard drive, like your Desktop. Unzip the file to the same download location (do not unzip to the "Instruments" folder.) Manually copy or move the unzipped "9.Notation" folder to the "Instruments" folder inside the "GPO Library" folder. It should look like this after you place the folder: www.garritan.com/GPO_Files/NotationFolder.jpg

When the "9.Notation" folder is in place you should be able to open the GPO player and see the "9.Notation" folder (along with folders 1 thru 8 and Multis) from the Load button. There is the possibility that you could have the "wet" and "dry" legacy folders there too but I have deleted those on the system shown in the screenshot.

Tom

Re: Important Fix #2: Notation instruments folder blocked if Finale not installed.

Tom -
    I did EXACTLY as instructed. The .zip file was placed in my ZIP folder. The .zip file was unzipped to the Instruments folder of the GPO Library folder. In the list of files to be unzipped, there was NO "9.". The main folder of the files to be unzipped was titled ". .". The remaining folders were numbered "1." thru "8." with the instrument sections following their respective numbers, just the same as the old version. When the files were unzipped, I looked at the Instrument folder under GPO Library. There was no "9.", just the 1. thru 8. I believe that these are the new (#9) instruments because they have 'created dates' of 06/??/05. So, it appears that I have 'lost' the old Instrument files (for 1. thru 8.) and they have been replaced by the new ones because during the unzip, I was asked if I wanted to replace the old files with the new files. I said "yes"; otherwise, the files would not have been unzipped.

Also on the Kontakt Player, when Load is pressed, no "9." appears, just 1. thru 8., Dry, Wet and Multis.

As I recall, though, from the original Sticky on this subject, if the old instruments were programmed into a piece, then the new ones have to be re-programmed into that piece or it won't play. Is that right? (I really don't want to read through the whole thread, again, and all of the misinformation that others have brought to the table).

Thanx for the update on Notation Instruments.

Frank

Re: Important Fix #2: Notation instruments folder blocked if Finale not installed.

No, you didn't do exactly as Tom outlined. When you unzip, you create a new "9. Notation" folder containing subfolders "1" thru "8" and then copy the entire "9. Notation" folder, not just its subfolders.

Nickie -
    I tried the unzip, again, but to the folder that the .zip file was saved to, not the GPO-Instrument folder. I got exactly the same thing as appeared the first time - NO "9. Notation" folder, just folders 1. thru 8. with the respective instrument classes named. So, if I would have copied this to the GPO-Instruments folder, nothing would have changed from what happened the first go around with the unzip.

Again, the folder that one would have expected to be labelled "9. Notation" is labelled ". ." in the unzip program box, and that folder does not appear when the file is unzipped. I have seen NOTHING labelled "9. Notation" in ANY step of this process (well, except for the "9.Notation.zip" file, itself).

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by 4209fr
    Tom -
    I did EXACTLY as instructed.
    Well, not EXACTLY. I said nothing about unzipping it to the Instruments folder, I just said to unzip it to a "convenient place on your hard drive." Anyway, I've modified the instructions above and added a screenshot. Maybe that will help clarify things.

Tom

Tom -
    Nickie already pointed out to me that I did NOT do EXACTLY as you instructed, but, I pointed out that I did the first part of the procedure EXACTLY as you point out on my 2nd go-around - I unzipped the .zip file to the same location that the .zip file was Saved (my ZIPPED FILES-Garritan folder, which only has the GPO Zip in it, besides the 9.Notation.zip file).

When the 9.Notation.zip file is unzipped (to this same location as the .zip file, NOT the GPO Library-Instruments folder), there are 8 folders that appear upon unzipping - their names are numbered "1." thru "8." with the instrument groups after the numbers. THERE IS NO "9.NOTATION" FOLDER. I have never seen a "9.Notation" folder in any part of the process of trying to download, unzip and copy to the Instruments folder.

Your screenshot is nice, but that is EXACTLY as I envisioned things should look, so I was surprised when I got the results I did - in all of the attempts.

For my 2nd attempt, where I unzipped to the Zip file location, if I would have Copied the Folders from that location and Pasted to the Instruments folder under GPO Library, I would have gotten the same result as the 1st attempt, where the original "1." thru "8." folders were replaced.

Again, I have never seen a folder or indication of "9.Notation" in any of this procedure (except for the name of the Zip file, "9.Notation.zip"). I cannot see how a folder named "9.Notation" can appear under the Instruments folder if it does not exist (or appear) at anytime previous to that.

From what you describe, when one unzips, there should be a "9.Notation" folder. Maybe, but not necessarily, there will be subfolders labelled "1." thru "8." (with the instruments groups associated with the numbers) listed under the "9.Notation" folder. THIS IS NOT HAPPENING. The only folder(s) that appear are the 8 folders labelled "1." thru "8".

Frank

OK, Frank, I think I've gotten to the bottom of your problem. It has to do with the de-compression process and whether or not a folder with the .zip file name (in this case, "9.Notation") is created automatically into which the Notation instrument folders 1 thru 8 are placed. The 1 thru 8 folders that you see *should* have been placed inside a folder with the "9.Notation" name. That's what I see on my system when I decompress the .zip file but I was able to get it to skip the creation of the "9.Notation" folder by re-directing the pathway. So, . . . I've made a change to the .zip file that includes the "9.Notation" folder in the .zip itself. This is not the best way to do this because the opposite problem can occur where the file is un-zipped to include two "9.Notation" folders, one nested in the other. In this case, it's the internal, nested folder that needs to be copied or moved to the correct location. The point is to have just the one "9.Notation" folder (the one directly containing the 1 thru 8 instrument folders) in the "Instruments" folder of the GPO installation.

This is the kind of nonsense I was hoping to avoid but this is probably the least confusing of the two approaches. Try downloading again and give it a try. Let me know if you have any further difficulties or questions.

Tom

Tom -
    I thought that something like you describe might be the case. There are a lot of programs that I download that end up having nested folders where the necessary one can just be folded back into the upper one and everything looks as it is intended. In this case, I guess it would be better for some to have nested folders than some to have no 'necessary' folder at all.

I'm not sure where I got the unzip program, but its desktop icon says WinRAR, and I've used it for (probably) hundreds of programs. Yes, its algorithm may be the problem.

I didn't want to try to make my own 'New' folder under Instruments, labelled "9.Notation" and then Paste folders "1." thru "8." under this manually added folder. I figured that it needed to come from the Garritan file in case there was some code in it.

So, now I have the question: Since I probably Deleted the original GPO "1." thru "8." folders, and they were replaced by the new, Notation "1." thru "8." folders, is there any reason to try the 9.Notation download again? If I have lost the original files, the 9.Notation.zip will not bring them back. Is there a significant reason that I should have the orginal folders? If so, how do I get them back - uninstall GPO and re-install it, then do the 9.Notation.zip to get the file structure in your screenshot? Or, if you think that having the old files is necessary, do you have another suggestion about how to get them back? - old folders necessary or not?

Thanx for bearing with me, but it looks like it has been a 'learning experience' all the way around. Ya, I agree that something that may appear to be fairly straight-forward and 'simple' can turn out to be a real headache!

Frank

Frank,

Send me a Private Message and I'll get you back to where you were before the problems.

The answer to your question is: Depends on how you usually use the library. If you always work in notation you might not need the standard files, but it's always nice to have them there if you ever need them for sequencing work.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Apparently, the installer will refuse to install the "9. Notation" folder if a copy of Finale is not installed on the user's system. This was not intended. The "9. Notation" folder can be downloaded here: www.garritan.com/GPO_Files/9.Notation.zip
    Tom
    Tom, I am using Finale Songwriter and it seems to be okay. The installer did not include this file. What do I gain by adding it?

Go Back to forum