I have never been able to access the forum before. I registered but never got a confirmation message and could never get a response from the webmaster. Finally I emailed Gary Garritan in desperation and - hey - it's fixed!.
(but there are a lot of other people with this problem - i.e can't access forum - I've been told on the Cakewalk forum, so hopefully someone can help them get registered properly at some stage). Anyway....
I am now sincerely hoping someone can help me with my portamento problem. It really compromises my ability to use GPO creatively, unfortunately.
Firstly, I understand and have looked at the portamento tutorial. However, my problem comes about from wanting to apply portamento in real time i.e while playing. As I understand it the tutorial techniques work with 'off line' alteration of MIDI messages after the performance has been captured.
I am running 1.1.8.003 of the Kompakt player with all library updates for GPO (AFAIK) and currently my portamento behaviour is as follows:-
1. Set the portamento knob to a non-zero value
2. Press sustain
3. Play some notes. Note that portamento is applied. So far so good.
4. Release all notes
5. Release sustain and play some notes. No portamento. Excellent!. BUT...
6. Release all notes.
7. Reapply sustain.
8. Press another note pitched some distance from the notes played in step 3
9. Note that an ugly glide occurs from the last note played during step 3
This is not useable musically and not consistent with how portamento is implemented in other synths etc. What I really need is
1. Play some notes without sustain. No portamento.
2. Hold a note and THEN press sustain. Still no portamento
3. Play another note with sustain held down. Portamento!.
4. Repeat 3 as desired
5. Release sustain. Play another note. No portamento
6. Go to step 2 and repeat as required. Note that the first note in step 3 should NOT glide from any previous pitch UNLESS a note was held down at step 2, in which case it SHOULD.
This would be exactly correct for realtime performance. But having a glide 'remembered' across pedal up/down sequences is just plain not good. Slightly less good but perhaps manageable is the other issue, that a note held prior to sustain down will not cause the following note played after sustain down to have portamento. It should. The word 'bug' springs to mind, not to put too fine a point on it.
I appreciate that I can add portamento 'after the fact' by adding CC messages to a recorded performance. However, I want to add portamento as I play. Can anyone help?. Note that this behaviour exists both with GPO running standalone or hosted as a VST inside Sonar 3 professional (3.1.1)