• Register
  • Help

Topic: Composition Help (Seriously!)

Composition Help (Seriously!)

Hello, folks,

I got in the mood to write again, and I came up with a good melody and chord structure, but this style of music (pop-influenced) is not my normal fare. As such I am seriously having issues with coming up with an effective counterpoint to the melody of the chorus. I've never had this happen before and so I am completely flumoxed. Would anyone like to help by offering ideas suggestions or even an actual example I could look at? I would really appreciate it! The part I am stuck on is the chorus begining with "Stand your ground!"

The links to the music are here:

C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator

Re: Composition Help (Seriously!)

Foss, ol' buddy, ol' pal, etc., I don't think I could write in this particular genre if you put a gun to my head... lol... so I'm not a lotta help.

The standard advice when you're butting your head against the end of a box canyon, though?

Turn around a go the other way. Might work...

Off to a fine start with this, by the way!

Go the other way... you mean just go back to block chords? Hmmm.... maybe...
    C. Foster Payne

Out of my Mind

Link doesn't work for me...
    Is it down?
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Hmmm... nope. They're still working. I tried both links and believe they're both fully operational.
    C. Foster Payne

I think that you're off to a good start really. I'm not sure where to take it, but I feel that it actually has the beginnings of being epic. I'm hearing bigger brass, percussion etc. It's probably not where you're wanting to go, but that's what I hear it "wanting" to become. Good luck

edit * Just looked at the score and noticed lyrics. Ok...given the story behind the lyrics...I do feel that it can still be done in an epic/orchestral non-pop way depending on the voice used. Full choir, by all means etc. If you're wanting to go the pop route, I can't help you. Sorry.

Would you mind if I took a stab at this. I could do an example or two and post it here if you would like. The piece has a feel of a movie score - I would like to hear it as a barebones piece first, so I will realize it as a choral work with piano accomp. Give me a day or two.

That would be awesome. Thanks.

As a side not, perhaps using the words "pop-influenced" was inaccurate. What I am finding hard to cope with, in essence, is the fast rythm of the melody. I can't seem to, aside form block chords, place a rythm underneath it (think of both hands on a piano). I don't know if that makes any sense.
    C. Foster Payne

West Seneca, NY

I got a weird encrypted page on both links. Regardless, I wish you luck!

I have an example for you, but don't know how to attach it here. I have it in a pdf file. I will try and post it on my Yahoo account and add the link here. If that doesn't work, give me a email address and I will send it off.

Possible Link: Oops, Yahoo wants me to have a Premium account, and I don't - I will try an email it to you.

I included basic chords in the piano so if I got the analysis wrong, sorry. But, I think you will get the idea of how I used a canonic develpoment.

Go Back to forum