• Register
  • Help

Topic: Merger News: Seagate Buys Maxtor

Share/Bookmark

Merger News: Seagate Buys Maxtor

Gamers.com is reporting that: Seagate Technology is acquiring Maxtor Corporation. "Specifically, the merger has been approved by Seagate shareholders and Maxtor stockholders. The transaction is expected to close in 2-3 business days."

Seagate recently announced their new 750 gigabyte drive. Why is it that no matter how may drives we buy we are always running out of disc space?

Re: Merger News: Seagate Buys Maxtor

Well, I don't know if the merger is a good thing or not. I am concerned about the current merge trend, and see it moving too close to monopolies.

The huge drive sounds interesting. I don't know why, as I have 3 good capacity drives, and about 75% free space but I still want one, although more RAM would make more sense for me.

Richard

Psssst...

I hear Garritan Interplanetary Industries is about
    to buy out Hanes Underwear.

Think of the possibilities!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

GPU? Garritan Personal Underwear? Interesting...
    Tim

Why is it that no matter how may drives we buy we are always running out of disc space?
    Because of you crazy developers!

And you can't possibly be considered a real man or woman until you have a RAID level 20 set-up, which is 20 redundant 750GB helium-cooled hard disks. Ten of them split the load, and then the other ten are used for back-up for when one of the other ten goes down. People who care about productivity then have a back-up RAID level 20 array to back up the first one, so you can constantly swap out drives - which takes about six hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Because of you crazy developers!

And you can't possibly be considered a real man or woman until you have a RAID level 20 set-up, which is 20 redundant 750GB helium-cooled hard disks.
    20? No way! I have 50 redundency and another shadow server across the country on a seperate T1 backbone just in case the first one implodes in a fire or earthquake. Cnat be too sure ya know.

I am very dissapointed in the merger. I think I am the only one who likes Maxtor drives...
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

I've had to RMA at least one Maxtor drive--failed within the first 48 hours--but the one I've got in my machine now has been going strong for quite some time (knock on wood). Maxtor is fine.

I don't know quite what to think of the merger, but it doesn't bother me much one way or another. I've been buying Hitachis lately.

I buy them all and trust none.

Hm, well I guess they'll have to call it "Seaxtor". I don't think "Maxtorgate" would go over well.
    Styxx

Well, my concern about the merger is product quality. I have not changed cellular phone service for many years, but there have been some mergers or acquisitions, and each merge has resulted in degraded service quality. Primarily, the problem has become very spotty area coverage. If there were a better choice, I would change, but it is quite well known that my current carrier is the only carrier that works out here.

I have nothing against either Maxtor or Seagate, have them both. I just fear the results of the consolidation.

Richard

Go Back to forum