• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Question?

Share/Bookmark

Question Question?

Is there or does Roland have a site where I can download Roland Sound Canvas sound sets?
    Thanks in advance.

Addendum - My interest are for a client who insists on having Sound Canvas sounds in the majority of their music. Any one have even a vague idea where I can download some sounds I would appreciate it.
    Again, thanks in advance.
    Styxx

Smile Re: Question?

I scoured the Synthzone roland page for ya a bit but the links for the SC-88 are all broken (suprise suprise). Maybe google it Styxx and see what comes up. Or, maybe find out what other modules or synths are compatible patchwise like maybe the JV-80 and such. Good luck.

Eric

Re: Question?

Thanks Eric. I think we both scoured the Synthzone roland page, that's what prompted me to post. I have a SC88 midi to my system and it works fine. The only set back is mixing a finished product for CD. I'm stuck with playing the final mix down to a Tascam CD recorder in real time. Would be nice if I could do it all on PC.
    Again, much appreciation for the help and I shall continue to search.
    Styxx

Why not record the audio output of the SC into your DAW?

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    Why not record the audio output of the SC into your DAW?
    Why not record the audio output of your SC into the DAW ... hm, sounds like a plan but I'm a little confused as to how that would be executed. Are you saying like sampling each sound or recording midi track to audio to wav then inserting back into an audio channel, mix down to wav then burn to CD? Sound like a longer process than burning direct to the Tascam, yes? I’m missing something here, sorry.
    Styxx

My understanding is that the basic SC55 soundset was licensed by Microsoft and is encapsulated in the GM.dls file on your C: drive. It's what yoiu are listening to whenever you play a midifile in Media Player. Beyond that, in the commercial realm, there is the Virtual Sound Canvas and the Hyper Sound Canvas. I use VSC for quick auditioning of midifiles. Beyond that, I'm not satisfied with the guitar sounds in either softsynth compared to the actual SC88VL.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    My understanding is that the basic SC55 soundset was licensed by Microsoft and is encapsulated in the GM.dls file on your C: drive. It's what yoiu are listening to whenever you play a midifile in Media Player. Beyond that, in the commercial realm, there is the Virtual Sound Canvas and the Hyper Sound Canvas. I use VSC for quick auditioning of midifiles. Beyond that, I'm not satisfied with the guitar sounds in either softsynth compared to the actual SC88VL.

Ernie
    I have the Virtual Sound Canvas but only in Cakewalk 2004 XL (which is not functioning properly) and cannot load VSC in Cubase. I really do not care for the sounds but going with what a client desire to have Roland sounds.
    Thanks.
    Styxx

Whenever I use outboard gear like my roland synths, korg and EMU modules etc, I write with them as midi tracks right along with my VSTi's. My PC and my hardware synths all go to my mixer and then to my monitors so to listen to a mix while I'm writing, it's all there. When I am done with writing and tweaking midi, I then record the hardware midi tracks into my DAW one at a time, usually with effects on the hardware turned off. I use cubase SX. I just right click on the midi track I want to turn to audio, click "add new audio track", then solo those two tracks. I then unplug the outputs of that synth from my mixer and into the inputs of my daw. Then I hit record on the audio track and it records the selected midi track to audio. I do that for every single hardware midi track that I have to. If it somehow sounds really great already, I might record multiple midi tracks at once to the audio track. Once they are all recorded, I mute all the original hardware midi tracks and start mixing the new audio tracks with the VSTi's. It IS quite a process but it works. It would be a step easier if I monitored all my hardware through my sound card already but I've never stopped to figure that out yet. Hope this helps.

Re: Question? Possible QuickFix

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    . . .
    Addendum - My interest are for a client who insists on having Sound Canvas sounds in the majority of their music. Any one have even a vague idea where I can download some sounds I would appreciate it.
    Again, thanks in advance.
    Styxx,

Roland Sound Canvas SoundFont (get the Roland Sound Canvas Tuned one rated 7.8)
    http://http://www.hammersound.net/cg...&ListLength=15

SynthFont SoundFont Player with Direct to Disk Recording (it works with any soundcard)
    http://www.synthfont.com/

Your customer probably will believe it sounds like the real deal. This workaround is all I could think of off hand that could work for your porposes.

Respectfully,
    C. M. Dratz

Is it source music? If not, why would someone with even glancing knowledge of what's been happening in music technology over the past ten years insist upon using a Sound Canvas?

Tell the client that your sounds wipe the Sound Canvas' bottom and that's that.

Go Back to forum