• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio 160 on Laptop

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio 160 on Laptop

I have been looking at selling my Akai S3000 for a high powered
    LaptopPc running Gigastudio. My question is at the moment .......i have no
    dedicated multi out-put card. Would an Intel 650 MhZ Compaq ,384 Ram, 12 Gig
    Hitachi ....stream big piano/ orchestral samples fast enough.??
    >
    > Also..my friend is the person who has been telling me great things about
    Gigastudio. He has a Gina Multi out soundcard. He also told me I would
    only get 2 Aux buses if i used a stereo only output card....unabling me to send
    different types and amounts of effects to each of my 16 midi channels.
    Please could you explain this before i sell my Akai and maybe find that i am
    worse off than before.
    >
    > Thanking you
    >
    > Dee faulds
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Re: Gigastudio 160 on Laptop

With PC-Laptops it´s a big desaster!
    We tried about 16(!) different to run GigaStudio on it...no way! We tried all (Giga-)compatible Soundcards!
    No soundcard works... big problems during installation.

We recommend a normal PC !!! You can mount it in a 19\" rack wit 12\" flatscreen!

franz

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dee Faulds:
    I have been looking at selling my Akai S3000 for a high powered
    LaptopPc running Gigastudio. My question is at the moment .......i have no
    dedicated multi out-put card. Would an Intel 650 MhZ Compaq ,384 Ram, 12 Gig
    Hitachi ....stream big piano/ orchestral samples fast enough.??
    >
    > Also..my friend is the person who has been telling me great things about
    Gigastudio. He has a Gina Multi out soundcard. He also told me I would
    Please could you explain this before i sell my Akai and maybe find that i am
    worse off than before.
    >
    > Thanking you
    >
    > Dee faulds
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nonsense.... I\'m happily using Gigastudio 160 , maxing out at 60 voices, on an old Acer Travelmate 322. I would strongly advise against using this kind of laptop setup for anything more than sketch pad type work as, although it works quite happily, it has a number of short falls....

1) There are only 1 pair of stereo outs
    2) I cannot use my sequencer for any audio whilst running Gigastudio, although I can run the two at the same time.
    3) The quality of the output one can expect from a laptop\'s audio outs is, at best, poor.

So if you want to play clean compositions at live venues, or if you want to sync your gigastudio samples up with audio tracks on a sequencer then laptops are not a tool for you.

If, however, you wish to take a basic version of your studio off into the hills next time you go on holiday and jot down some new ideas for compositions... then its ideal.

One last word of warning... some newer laptops, although double the specs, carry soundcards which have no direct sound acceleration or compatibility, and hence they are actually ten times worse for this sort of thing. First research the soundcards, however crappy they might seem, which are going to be in your laptop... that\'s what I did and that\'s why I\'m sitting pretty.

Hello and thankyou for your advice on using laptops with Gigastudio. Please could you tell me wither my friend is right with the next comment.........??????

My friend told me I would
    >
    > Thanking you
    >
    > Dee faulds
    >

Your friend is correct...

You will not be able to have any more than 2 aux buses, thus you will not be able to have different settings for your 16 midi channels... for that kind of stuff you can forget laptops. You need a proper GSIF sound card... of which there are presently none for laptops.

Don\'t romanticise about laptops... they may be small and cute but in most counts they are still totally behind a proper desk top computer. As I said in my previous posting I only really use my laptop as a sketch pad for new ideas. Using a computer in this way is very liberating but there is no way that it compares to using a really powerful desktop for \"proper\" compositions... that\'s why I recently bought a Pulsar 2 (with GSIF) for my desktop computer.

A major limitation with laptops is that their hard drives are optimised for long battery life rather than speed. It seems to me that an external ethernet drive used with a powerful laptop that included an ethernet connection might get around this limitation. Firewire drives might as well once native rather than converted IDE ones are released.

In the long run, an MLAN GSIF driver for firewire would be the ideal solution to the laptop audio interface problem.

Go Back to forum