• Register
  • Help

Topic: Unknown latency problem - any ideas ?

Unknown latency problem - any ideas ?

I just purchased and installed GPO. I am having a real problem with latency I can't solve.

I have a system that runs multiple instances of EWQL Gold or Collosus, RealGuitar and BFD drums via Sonar pro flawlessly at what i feel is low latency (I use a Tascam IF/FW firewire 24 i/o via a DM24 mixer). However I cannot get GPO to an accceptable latency even with just 1 instrument loaded (say a violin). Although the driver interface says 10ms delay, I feel that the true latency would be closer to somewhere between 30 to 50 ms with GPO and this is causing the library to be pretty much unplayable. I actually bought GPO to run on my crappy Receptor but that thing is enough trouble without adding new so hopefully it's an issue I have missed somewhere.

Could anyone offer a solution or point me in the right direction?

Re: Unknown latency problem - any ideas ?

Something has got to be wrong if you can't play one instrument back. I don't know much about Sonar as I use Digital Performer 4.16. My latency issues are solved thusly:

When I play instruments to create MIDI tracks, I use a 256 setting. When I playback audio tracks, I use a 1024 setting. I am using notebooks as described in my signature, but have no latency issues with the aforementioned settings.

I am also able to use 24-36 instruments from the GPO library. My two-computer setup reduces the CPU load a great deal when using GPO.

Hope this might help.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Unknown latency problem - any ideas ?

HI Jack,

Thanks for your reply. My machine will play the GPO instruments without trouble - just extreme latency in GPO only.

Go Back to forum