• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: is it worth it?

Share/Bookmark

is it worth it?

hi all, I'm a new member

I am considering purchasing GPO because I really enjoy listening to classical music. However, I am not educated to a useful extent in the structure or conduction of classical music. I am not planning on doing anything complicated, just some rythm to start off with, ie. 4 instruments playing differnet beats

Do you reckon I would be able strike up a beat in a descent amount of time?

Re: is it worth it?

Yes, you can. I have no previous experience with ochestra music (never been in an orchestra, never seen one). I've only listened to film scores and the occasional piece from this site. But I find it easy to churn up some music. Just takes a couple of hours for a full orchestra so 4 instruments would be rather quick.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    But I find it easy to churn up some music. Just takes a couple of hours for a full orchestra so 4 instruments would be rather quick.
    Where can I sign up for a course in doing this!!!!! Do you take apprentices?? Money is no object !! Will travel (even to the other side of the world)!!! Just say when !
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Quote Originally Posted by chug1
    hi all, I'm a new member

I am considering purchasing GPO because I really enjoy listening to classical music. However, I am not educated to a useful extent in the structure or conduction of classical music. I am not planning on doing anything complicated, just some rythm to start off with, ie. 4 instruments playing differnet beats

Hi, Chug.

One of the first things I noticed when I got GPO was the ease of use. In the interest of full disclosure, I should probably mention that I'm a rock & roll guitarist / singer who's spent far more time jumping up and down than studying music theory. I mean, hey, I only need three chords.

I personally use Sonar for my sequencing (no piano skills here), but no matter which software you use, or if you play it live with a keyboard, it's a breeze. You pick an instrument, assign it to a track, and make music. It's that simple. If you decide later that you want a cello on that part instead of a French horn, you simply change the instrument. Nothing to it.

It's been extremely cool to have the ability to add truly realistic orchestral instrumentation to my music. Go for it, man. You'll have a blast.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Using GPO runs from extremely easy to very complex and time-consuming, depending on what you are doing, and how high you set the bar. This is part of the beauty of the library. Beginners can hear what they are doing instantly, which is a fantastic way to learn how an orchestra works. It's not a substitute for traditional learning routes, but it could very well be all you need for your purposes.

On the other hand, you will not outgrow GPO by virtue of becoming a master of orchestration and composition. As you progress, you will find that there is more and more complexity that you can get into if you want to.

I would certainly recommend picking up an orchestration text at some point. I'm sure you can pick up Rimsky-Korsakov, Piston, or Blatter at Amazon cheaply. Why not learn a few tricks, right?
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Thumbs up Re: is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by chug1
    hi all, I'm a new member

Hey chug1, welcome to the forum! I would say definitely GO FOR IT! No matter what your background you'll find GPO an awesome library and tool for rendering your ideas! Many have come to this forum with similar concerns and have found out how unbelievable the amount of growth potential is unlocked using GPO! PLUS ... Take a good look around you chug1. You are surrounded by the most helpful people anywhere on any forum!
    GO FOR IT! LIFE IS NOT A DRESS REHEARSAL!
    Styxx

The basics are not difficult. You will catch on quickly. But I want to emphasize what Chris said. You will also need a sequencer or keyboard. Probably both. Sequencers take a bit more time to learn. I use Sonar, as do many people here. You may not need all of it's features now, but chances are good that you will grow into them.

If you only want or plan to listen and not save your work except as wav, then you can dispense with the sequencer, and just use your keyboard.

Richard

Cool Re: is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Where can I sign up for a course in doing this!!!!! Do you take apprentices?? Money is no object !! Will travel (even to the other side of the world)!!! Just say when !
    Have I, too, studied all these years for naught?

Richard

TWTChristmas took about 5 hours to make. I just can't keep my attention for a full 2 hours on music usually, let alone 15 minutes at a time most of the time.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I would certainly recommend picking up an orchestration text at some point. I'm sure you can pick up Rimsky-Korsakov, Piston, or Blatter at Amazon cheaply. Why not learn a few tricks, right?
    Or perhaps be a pilot student in the launching of the Garritan Interactive Rimsky-Korsakov course?

For FREE!

Go Back to forum